Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Backyard Renovations

luckypenny
October 5th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Guess how I get to spend our Thanksgiving weekend?

First have to start by wheelbarrowing this pile of soil.....

Into this horrid, muddy yard!

luckypenny
October 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM
....So we can prepare it for the new sod coming tomorrow morning....

....to avoid having to hose the deck down 10 times a day :frustrated:....
....and avoid having to bathe these guys 10 times a day :sad:....
....and prevent having to wash the floors a bagajilzillion times a day :yell: .

Wish me luck :D .

luckypenny
October 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Woohoo :crazy:, my brother-in-law and nephew just surprised me by showing up to help. Just adore my inlaws :goodvibes:.

breeze
October 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
It's better than spending it sick in bed. at least you can enjoy the weather.. :fingerscr:fingerscr that it does not rain..

I know of a certain Brenese that would love to get her paws into that pile of dirt !! she is always willing to help out on things like that :laughing::D:D

cpietra16
October 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM
OMG..my cats are salivating...I WANT DIRT....a sure way to collect a poop sample or pee sample...they never miss a fresh pach of dirt...:lightbulb::D

luckypenny
October 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
OMG..my cats are salivating...I WANT DIRT....a sure way to collect a poop sample or pee sample...they never miss a fresh pach of dirt...:lightbulb::D

:yell::yell::yell: Well they could have it :o :laughing: .

Ok, I gave up. BIL stayed an hour. We went through 1/3 of the soil and just managed to cover a wee little bit of the yard. Not even 1/10. So I had to order more. My back has already seized just from trying to spread it. I went and rented a thingy-ma-jig to drive with a shovel on front :D. It should get here by 3pm I hope. Hopefully hubby will get home by the same time.

luckypenny
October 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
It's better than spending it sick in bed. at least you can enjoy the weather.. :fingerscr:fingerscr that it does not rain..

I know of a certain Brenese that would love to get her paws into that pile of dirt !! she is always willing to help out on things like that :laughing::D:D

Bree can come over anytime and play in the dirt :lovestruck: . Lucky, Penny, and Ava have already helped tamp some down (and spread some around but mostly all over themselves).

Rain is expected for tomorrow afternoon. The soil should all be leveled by this evening and hopefully the sod placed by tomorrow noon. :D But Penny and I have training in the morning so I guess hubby and the boys will be busy :D .

luckypenny
October 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
So hubby came home and started *#^$%$@) while trying to operate the thingy-ma-jig. Sandman wandered into the yard and said, "I can do that Dad." And he did :eek: :cloud9:. My hero.

1. Sandman
2. "I know Dad, geez."
3. Just a wee bit of damage so far (but he's having a blast, I can't possibly get upset).

the sandman
October 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Just a wee bit of damage so far (but he's having a blast, I can't possibly get upset).

that was dad :angel:

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 05:18 PM
you guys are so funny. :cloud9:

-ash

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Way to go, Sandman! :thumbs up I don't trust hubby in one of those things, though he's dying to try one! :laughing: You look right at home in that contraption!

Luck, Luckypenny! :fingerscr Just remember, if all else fails, winter snows will be here soon. :p

growler~GateKeeper
October 6th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Good job Sandman :highfive: comin' to the rescue :thumbs up

Smiley14
October 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM
WOW! That is a big pile of dirt! :eek: But it looks like it will be well worth it! :laughing: Very cool!

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM
So how is the sodding project coming along, LP? :fingerscr

luckypenny
October 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM
So how is the sodding project coming along, LP? :fingerscr

http://bestsmileys.com/sick/4.gif

I had to lay it by myself, in the cold rain, while 4 men stood under a tree, supervising :frustrated: . They began laying down the sod but either left too much space between the rolls or had them overlapping. When I complained, they said to just add soil and grass seed in the holes. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind that suggestion :confused: as all the rolls were evenly cut and fit perfectly side by side? Ughhhh :yell: .

30 minutes in to the sod laying, I decided the yard would look better with 1/2 in patio tiles :o . So where you see lots of dirt still left in the pic, that's what I'll tile next weekend. (Now I have a whole pallet of sod left over :o)

In the first photo, I was calling Penny and Ava inside but they both totally ignored me :eek:......the two girls I could always count on 99.9% recall :D.

poodletalk
October 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
The yard looks good LP. I thought the dogs weren't allowed on the new grass for atleast a month.

JanM
October 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Wow - does it ever look good! The patio will finish it off nicely. I guess the dogs liked their new grass so much they decided they just wouldn't bother coming when you called :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Looking mighty fine, LP! :thumbs up

Yeah, I don't know about that "dirt and seed" in between the rolls, either! :shrug: Must be a guy logic sort of thing! :o Or maybe it was just a clever ploy to get you to do the work while they got to stand out of the rain under the tree? :laughing:

Anyway, it's looks really good. You do good work! You can bring the rest of that sod down here and lay it under the pines where the grass doesn't grow if you wanna--no one here would complain! :D

How are you going to keep the dogs off the muddy area till you get a chance to 'tile'? :eek:

luckypenny
October 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM
How are you going to keep the dogs off the muddy area till you get a chance to 'tile'? :eek:

I'm pretending to be an apartment dweller without a yard :D . They've been getting between 2 1/2 and 3 hour walks each daily :eek: . I think I may have to get new orthopedic inserts fitted soon. Unfortunately, I had to work both yesterday and today so our walks were really early, when I came home, and I just got in a little while ago after their 3rd long walk of the day. Hubby and my older son took them out frequently for shorter walks throughout the two days. I've managed, once again, to take some extra days off during the week for the next several weeks so they can get some extra long walks.

I'm hoping to get a chance to order the new tiles tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to install them by next weekend :fingerscr .

luckypenny
October 9th, 2007, 12:44 AM
The yard looks good LP. I thought the dogs weren't allowed on the new grass for atleast a month.

You're right, they're not :o . I couldn't help it though. They stayed by the patio door all day long moping wanting to come out and join me. I just had to let them check out their new lawn.

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 01:14 AM
It looks great, LP, and you can sure tell the dogs are loving it. :thumbs up

luckypenny
October 9th, 2007, 01:21 AM
It looks great, LP, and you can sure tell the dogs are loving it. :thumbs up

I agree. I was just looking at the second to last pic and I swear, Ava looks as if she was laughing at me when I asked them to come in :rolleyes: :laughing:.

hazelrunpack
October 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Can't wait to see if you tile the yard as well as you sod. If so, you're hired!! :laughing:

Ava wasn't laughing at you--she was laughing with you cuz she just knew you were joking... "Come in? Off this lovely grass? You're kidding, right? :dog:"

Have you decided what to fill your digging...erm....I mean the dogs' digging pit with?

Roscoe's Mom
October 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM
you are doing a great job! Certainly no sign in your yard saying "Men Working" is there! I bet the dogs were more help than the men! Will be nice to see pix of your finished project.

ringer
October 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
dont mean to hi-jack your thread, but your all black dog (first pic of all 3 dogs through the glass door, the one on the far left) looks exactly like my dog, Hera, loves her ball, and always sits like yours is in the one pic. what breed/mix is she?

btw all 3 dogs are beautiful!

luckypenny
October 11th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Have you decided what to fill your digging...erm....I mean the dogs' digging pit with?

I was thinking of adding some sand to the soil that's already there so it'll drain better...........then I got a better idea :lightbulb: . I'm going to put a roof over it so they can still dig in the rain and avoid getting too muddy :D .

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I was thinking of adding some sand to the soil that's already there so it'll drain better...........then I got a better idea :lightbulb: . I'm going to put a roof over it so they can still dig in the rain and avoid getting too muddy :D .

Emphasis on the "too" muddy...cuz if their fur is wet, even if they're digging out of the rain, they'll gather mud. Experience speaks. :D The Pack are past masters at gathering mud even if it's not raining! :laughing:

luckypenny
October 11th, 2007, 11:44 PM
dont mean to hi-jack your thread, but your all black dog (first pic of all 3 dogs through the glass door, the one on the far left) looks exactly like my dog, Hera, loves her ball, and always sits like yours is in the one pic. what breed/mix is she?

btw all 3 dogs are beautiful!

Sorry ringer, I didn't see your post. I forgot about my own thread :o . We know Penny is a Lab, but your guess is as good as mine as to what she may be mixed with :shrug: (all three are from shelters). I was thinking of sending away for one of those genetic breed testing kits just for the fun of it. Especially for Lucky, the tan colored dog in the pic. I'm dying of curiosity to find out exactly what breeds there mixed with.

luckypenny
October 11th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Emphasis on the "too" muddy...cuz if their fur is wet, even if they're digging out of the rain, they'll gather mud. Experience speaks. :D The Pack are past masters at gathering mud even if it's not raining! :laughing:

Well then, I'll just have to roof the entire yard :p :laughing: .

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Well then, I'll just have to roof the entire yard :p :laughing: .

Now there's an idea! :thumbs up Then you'll can put astroturf under the roof and not have to worry about watering or light conditions--or digging for that matter! :D And you'll have your own football field! :p

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 12:05 AM
what I want to do is put a drain in the floor of the mudroom and set up a dog shower in there! :thumbs up Then it wouldn't matter how muddy they get :laughing:

luckypenny
October 12th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Now there's an idea! :thumbs up Then you'll can put astroturf under the roof and not have to worry about watering or light conditions--or digging for that matter! :D And you'll have your own football field! :p

Better not let hubby see those suggestions :eek: .

luckypenny
October 12th, 2007, 12:15 AM
what I want to do is put a drain in the floor of the mudroom and set up a dog shower in there! :thumbs up Then it wouldn't matter how muddy they get :laughing:

Now that sounds great except our dining room would look a little funny with a shower suspended from the ceiling and a drain in the floor (patio door to the yard is in this room).

But what a great way to clean up after dinner guests leave :lightbulb: :thumbs up .

mummummum
October 14th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Better not let hubby see those suggestions :eek: .

You could have your very own Skydome LP!!

Now that sounds great except our dining room would look a little funny with a shower suspended from the ceiling and a drain in the floor (patio door to the yard is in this room).

But what a great way to clean up after dinner guests leave :lightbulb: :thumbs up .

Francis Gabe beat ya to it ! http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blgabe.htm