Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Distemper & Spaying

cassie&hanna
May 24th, 2004, 05:59 PM
We adopted a puppy from a shelter 4 months ago. The dog had distemper (we did not know that at the time.) It was a looooooong hard, costly battle, but we were able to save her. She is now doing much better and behaving like a puppy. She has not been spayed because she was too sick. I now think /hope she is well enough to be spayed, but I am afraid that because she was so sick that putting her under might be too dangereous. Does anyone know if there is a higer risk rate for survival (from the spaying) if the dog was seriously ill? I am wondering if I should wait a few more months to spay her to be totally sure that she is 100%. Obviously I am going to talk this over with her vet, but I though maybe someone here could help with some insight. (She is 7 months old and is a border collie mix.)

Chany
May 24th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Sorry but I don't know for sure. The risks of surgery would be mostly from the anesthetic. If she's recovered and in good health I think I'd get her spayed. What if she got pregnant? Maybe the birthing experience would be harder on her than the surgery. Talk to your vets about your concerns they'll help you with your decision. But I'm pretty sure if it was my pet and she was healthy I'd go for it. ;) Hope this helps!! :)

Luba
May 24th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Oh I'd love to see some pictures. Thanks for saving this sweetie!

Has she had her first heat yet? If not, it'll probably be coming anytime now.
Build up her immunity by giving her a nutritious diet. This will build up her immune system and give her more to fight with regarding the surgery.

IF you are now or plan on giving vitamin E...stop it atleast 2weeks or more before surgery. Vitamin E will tend to prevent blood from coagulating and could cause excess bleeding.

Horrible to see a dog of any age go through CK, a pup though must have been even harder. I'm glad she's doing better now.

Lucky Rescue
May 24th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Wow - both of you survived distemper! I wish there were more people like you around.

There is special anesthetic for old, ill, small or otherwise fragile animals that does not permeate the organs and is very safe.

cassie&hanna
May 25th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Hi there..Thanks for all the quick responses.

Yes, surviving distemper was really really hard. Emotionally it was very draining. (Among other things) we had to hook her up to an IV drip every four hours. We had to do it at home because the Vet would not admit her to the hospital because distemper is so contagious. But we pulled through that and we love her so much. We almost lost her then and I don't want to loose her now.

Lucky- Do you happen to know the name of that anesthesia? I want to make sure the Vet uses that when we do spay her.

I would love to post pictures of her, but I don't know how! I will see if there are any instructions on the site.

cassie&hanna
June 8th, 2004, 02:24 PM
After a long hard $$ battle that was emotionally draining we pulled our dog back from death and she is now a happy pup.

Here is her picture.......Any thoughts on the breed? I am thinking Border Collie mix, but what else??

Princesss04
June 8th, 2004, 02:31 PM
She is so pretty, she is lucky to have a good mom that would care about her that much and take the time to nurse her back to health. Way to go you are a good pet owner. :D