Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Little Kitten with a URI

SexyGeeky
October 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hello all!
I just adopted a little 3 month old kitten from the humane society and i'm pretty sure he has an URI. I've phoned the humane society and they said that unless his discharge is discoloured/anything other than clear that there's nothing much they can do for him. I understand this. we're keeping a very closes eye on him and we will be monitering his food and water intake the minute we get him home tomorrow night. But my question is what can i do to help make my poor little sweetheart more comfortable? he's sneezing alot, and looks like his eyes are watering a bit. It looks like his nose is stuffed up and almost looks like he's asking for help. I've had cats before, but never a kitten with a URI. I dont know what to do, and it's breaking my heart to not see him at 100%.
Are there any suggestions?
Thanks in advance guys. =)

Jim Hall
October 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
get him to a vet which is always good advice when you adopt a pet

and not the humane soc vet either .

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I agree- get him to a vet!!! I am sure you have made an initial meeting with a vet to get to know the vet and for the vet to meet your kitten so call him or her or visit .

Good luck!! UTiI's should be treated as soon as possible.

kiara
October 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Congratulations on you new addition! Cats that are adopted from a rescue, usually should be in good health. Simply because some diseases can be contagious to other cats. Since the rescue let the cat be available in this condition, you should take it to a vet and have it checked. It probably needs antibiotics. There are many bad rescues out there, ready to make a buck and cheat the public.

badger
October 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I heard that if you run some hot water in your bathroom or shower and sit with them in the steam, it helps, as it helps stuffed-up humans. Make sure he is eating and drinking regularly; since his sense of smell is affected, tempt him with strong-smelling food like fish.
I've hardly heard of a cat leaving a shelter without an URI, they are so crowded and stressful. Sometimes there are so many affected cats, shelters are forced to euthanize the sickest - so consider your little guy lucky.
I agree that taking him to the vet is a good idea.

Love4himies
October 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Get the kitty to your vet to be checked as soon as you can. In the meantime, kittens can become very dehydrated very quickly and need to ensure that it is getting enough fluids and vitamins and the only way you can do this is by controlled feeding the kitten yourself. You can mix canned food (Kitten Wellness works well) with water (70% food, 30% water) and feed it through a 12 ml plastic syringe 4 times a day. It is OK if it doesn't eat all, but should finish most of it. They will let you know when they are full. The syringe you can pick up at a vet or pharmacy. You can check for dehydration by pinching the back of the kitten's neck and if the skin does not bounce back into place immediately, the kitten needs to be given fluid.

If the kitten is vomiting and keep anything in it's tummy, it needs the vet to give it subcutaneous fluids several times a day.

Good luck and keep us posted.

t.pettet
October 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM
So the Humane Society sold you a sick kitten. I would take him back there and demand their vet check him out, make a diagnosis and give you some meds to clear this up. Don't comprehend why they can't do anything for him, he's their responsibility if he's just been newly adopted from their facility.

beckiandthetrio
October 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Hi there--

Your post reminded of me of my baby when I first adopted her. She too had an URI and she looked so pathetic. I just remember waking up to her laying on my chest with bugers flying every where:( My advice is like everyone elses to get him to the vet ASAP.

Luckily Janie didnt have to stay the night or anything but she did get some subcu IV fluids and antibiotics. Hope your little guy feels better

Becki