Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just when I thought Hazel (the kitten) was done being naughty...

onster
October 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hazel (the cat, not the member ;)) is driving me insane!!!!

He has chewed through my brothers wii console sensor wire thingy (read : da da daaaaa), my dads cell phone charger, my brothers ipod charger, the dvd cables, the phone router ...solution: the whole house now smells like vicks, which is smeared all over the wires and all visible wires are wrapped in bright yellow electrical tape. You may also remember the stuck in sofa episode.

Well now, instead of wires he chews toes, lamp shades, wooden frames off the wall ( he will stand on his hind legs on the couch to reach the frame and nibble on it), fingers you name it. What can I do??? :(

That and I think after my trip to the states ( i had posted pics of his attempt to come with), I think he has developed an issue with suitcases. My dad went travelling last week and as he was packing hazel was right there...all of a sudden complete stink...and there is POOP on the floor. He's been fine ever since..but could this be a behavioural issue???

oh Hazel, if u weren't so cute...:shrug:

hazelrunpack
October 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
he he Some days I'm very happy I don't have kitties. :o And this hazel is so very glad you clarified which hazel was the culprit here. :laughing:

Wow, with a pup, rawhide might come in pretty useful here...but do kitties even chew rawhide? :confused:

I hope you get some feline experts on to give you some good advice. :D And give naughty hazel a few pats from nice hazel, okay? :cloud9: :D

want4rain
October 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
my Hunter is exactly the same thing. the raw diet (with chewy meaty bones) didnt put a dent in the things he has eaten/chewed.

laptop charger, 3 cellphone chargers, box fan cord, vacuum cord, lamp cord, ear buds.... cabinet corners, chair arms, door frames, the stairs (wooden), Jeffreys toy bike handle, hammer, dump truck handle... Cailyns Polly Pocket clothing... shoe laces.... sticks... Barbie feet and hands... loose carpeting...

he also bathes me several times a day. he pins me down and licks me from my shoulder to my finger tips.

uh-huh.... ...Bitter Apple helped A LOT!

we suspect pica??

poor Wii.... bet he was more than a little ticked off!!

-ashley

onster
October 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
yes, the wii....wellll..lets just say there was a bunch of yelling...."your cat" and "stupid" and "ahhhhhh" and "&@&(!_" . It doesnt help that hazel also chewed the same brothers glasses ( the part that rest on the ear) off the week before. oh and one of the wii controlers is looking mighty chewed on too.

I have bitter yuck (is that the same as bitter apple), i sprayed it on the wires and then i heard smacking noises and there was hazel happily chewing. Days later I was still spitting out my food after I had absentmindedly touched something that had been sprayed with the bitter stuff while hazel would readily lick the stuff off my fingers.

Ive read about pica (maybe have been in one of ure threads actually) and we suspect it too...but i guess theres not much u can do about it?

onster
October 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
hahahah, thanks hazel....will do! ( the pats). If its any consolation my hazel isnt really a hazel, he's a bondu' ...hard to pronounce egyptian word for hazel..but he just goes by hazel cuz the vets have a hard enough time with onnie!! lol

hmmmm rawhide....:lightbulb:..or a kitty kong???

want4rain
October 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
oh me goodness... likes the bitter yuck (good name for it!!) stuff?? its ruined more than a few sandwiches for me... we work at having the cords put up or anything he can fit his mouth around. if its larger than a kitty mouth (ie Chair backs, couch feet, walls... dresser legs and the like) we bought toys that he isnt interested in thats specifically for cats who chew stuff. Hunter doesnt seem to ahve an interest in fabric or stuffed animals or clothing unless its a string.

we should form a support group.

-ash

yes, the wii....wellll..lets just say there was a bunch of yelling...."your cat" and "stupid" and "ahhhhhh" and "&@&(!_" . It doesnt help that hazel also chewed the same brothers glasses ( the part that rest on the ear) off the week before. oh and one of the wii controlers is looking mighty chewed on too.

I have bitter yuck (is that the same as bitter apple), i sprayed it on the wires and then i heard smacking noises and there was hazel happily chewing. Days later I was still spitting out my food after I had absentmindedly touched something that had been sprayed with the bitter stuff while hazel would readily lick the stuff off my fingers.

Ive read about pica (maybe have been in one of ure threads actually) and we suspect it too...but i guess theres not much u can do about it?

mummummum
October 3rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
I wonder if they make kitty toys out of chamois ~ that's the really soft, supple suede-y-like leather used for polishing things. I suppose you could always buy some and cut it into strips for him to chew on.

krdahmer
October 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
chewy huh.... they make a KittyKong you know.... you can get one and stuff treats in it as an alternative! Worked great here.... I just shoved a mouse in it... chewable with a fluffy tail proved irresistable.:D

rainbow
October 4th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Yikes....Hazel is one naughty kitty. :evil:

Here is the Kitty Kong....

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

onster
October 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
lol, i was just joking about kitty kongs! Didn't know they actually had some! Guess I have some shopping to do * crossing fingers *

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
lucky you!! cant ahve stuff like that here. a kong of that size is just ASKING to get choked on by OTHERS in this house. thankfully the bitter apple helped and he gets to really chew his food so that just has to be enough. we have had a hard time teaching (as well as we can anyway) what is OK to chew and whats not.

thankfully we only had one furniture chewing with MIster cause the bitter apple was already everywhere else!!!

-ash

chico2
October 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I saw a Kitty-Kong today at my petsupplier store,might break down and buy one..
Onster ,my cats have never chewed on cords etc..and I have had lots of cats in my lifetime.
Do you have a cat-tree,where he can unload his energy,or maybe another kitten???

onster
October 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I have one cat tree and 3 scratching posts and about 50 toys. lol. i think he always had an issue with being 'mouthy' when we first got him, right before he fell asleep he would get this far off look in his eyes (spaced out) and then purr realy loud and suckle on ure earlobe/nose to go to bed ...at this point he was already 4 months old. So i think it maybe be a habit? Or perhaps he was separated from his mom too young? I dont know the details of his life before that, except he was brought in as a lone stray at 8 weeeks old to the shelter, adopted out once and then retuned where he stayed till he was about 4 months old when I adopted him :).

onster
October 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM
lucky you!! cant ahve stuff like that here. a kong of that size is just ASKING to get choked on by OTHERS in this house. thankfully the bitter apple helped and he gets to really chew his food so that just has to be enough. we have had a hard time teaching (as well as we can anyway) what is OK to chew and whats not.

thankfully we only had one furniture chewing with MIster cause the bitter apple was already everywhere else!!!

-ash

hahah ok im scared my cat will swallow it now. After my little brothers birthday hazel kept pooping out bits of rubber with "happy" or "birthday" written on them...and if it was our special day we'd get the birthday cake part of the balloon :laughing:. He had fun popping balloons and then eating them :rolleyes:

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Onster, we also have a 85lb dog and a 18 month old baby, both of which would find that a choking hazard!! worry not with the kitty. :)

-ash

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Onster,sometimes I believe what happend to cats in kitten-hood has a great bearing on how they behave as cats.
Examples:Vinnie was a street-urchin:D probably eating whatever he could outside,he still is like that,eats like it was his last meal.
Chico was the only kitten in a cage at the pet-shop,desperatly clinging to me to take him home(I am 100%against getting pets in pet-shops) and he's been clingy ever since.
Rocky came from a farm and he's every bit a farmer:laughing:
I am probably waaaay off in my thinking,but somehow it fits:laughing: