Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

12 year old Himalayan Losing hair

stemictur
October 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
I have a 12 year old Himalayan Female. She eats ok, goes to the bathroom regularly but she's been licking the hair off her body so now she has patches with no hair. Just wondering if this is normal or is the 1 1/2 year old kitten we have just driving her crazy lol.

badger
October 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
If she's kind of a solitary cat and the kitten never leaves her alone, it could be stress-related.
A himie has so much coat, I would worry about hair balls :eek:
What are you feeding her? It could be a reaction to an ingredient, even if she has been eating it forever.
Fleabites can also set off an allergic reaction.

stemictur
October 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks. I did notice some flea bites but couldn't find any fleas. Last treatment must have got rid of them. Hopefully she doesn't lick any more hair off. As for hairballs, she's been pretty good(for a himalayan).

badger
October 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Taking a cue from another thread, how about adding a daily teaspoon of coconut oil to her food? It must be good quality oil - a bit expensive - but you don't use much. Supposed to work all kinds of wonders.
I wouldn't exclude a trip to the vet. At 12, you need to jump on anything out of the ordinary.

growler~GateKeeper
October 4th, 2007, 12:20 AM
I would take your 12 year old in for a complete blood panel & urinanalysis just to be on the safe side as hair loss can be indicative of many things including Hyperthyroidism

yes it could be stress related to the kitten however it is always best to rule out all things medical first

Let us know how the vet visit goes

rainbow
October 4th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I agree with Growler. A 12 yr. old cat should have a blood panel and urinalysis done at least once a year to stay on top of things. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Yes a 12 year old Himalayan should be having annual blood work, including one for thyroid test (especially because of her licking) as they are known to develop kidney disease. Himalayan's do get stressed easily with new cats in the house and introductions should be done very slowly as a lot of Himalayans like to be solitary cats.

Does she hiss at the new kitty asking to be left alone?