Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you see your pet?

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
This morning before I gathered my things to come to work, I was in the bathroom cleaning up the morning icky's from Vlad and Oksana's eyes and I realized something.

When I look at them, I see a little boy cat and a little girl cat. Sort of like when you look at a toddler you know when one is a boy and one is a girl.

Yes, I know Vlad is a boy and Oksana is a girl, but to me, their faces are so distinct. Personality aside, I look into Vlad's eyes and I see a mischievous dominant and sometimes jealous little boy. Oksana to me is this delicate little flower that just wants to be where I am and will give her brother a good wuppin when he bothers her too much.

When people come over and they ask me which is the boy and which is the girl, I find myself thinking, can't you tell?

Is it the same with you guys?

bendyfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
To me, it's obvious that our cats are two girls and a boy, but people usually call the most petite, girly one "he"...I think because of her name (Riley).

Our dog Gracie doesn't look very lady-like (scruffy and dischevelled and she lifts her leg to pee:rolleyes:), so she gets called "he" all the time. Jaida is a runty tiny little shepherd with a slim face, so people usually figure out that she's a girl.

In fairness, though, when we call the gang for meals, we usually say "come on girls!", even though Solly's a boy...it's easier and he doesn't mind :D

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
LOL, Solly probably thinks he's one of the girls anyway.

bendyfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
He's most certainly outnumbered...6 to one....

"when in Rome..." :D

Jim Hall
October 3rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
I see my cat as a connection to the wild instinctive side of nature.

I also see her as an oopurtunitty to practice being kind and gentle to not only her but all of my relationships.

I would also like to see her as a bed warmer but so far that ain't happening

Frenchy
October 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
3 dogs , 2 cats , Nelly is the only girl. The goldens are easy to spot as boys if you know the breed (males are usually so much more velcro than females!!) and I see Nelly as MY girl , or an oversize puppy :D The cats , even if small for adult cats , I see them as boys too. They don't look like females to me :shrug:

Dracko
October 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
I see my animals as "boys" or "girls", whichever sex they are, too. When people call them that wrong one :yell:, but I realize they don't see what I do.

When I look at my animals I don't see a cat or dog I see their personalities.

want4rain
October 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
people will ask me, "how old is she?" when looking at Jeffrey. i think we all view our children differently than others. i think my little boy dressed up in puppy dogs or baseball bats all over his shirt is obviously a boy. thats aside from his rather boyish charm.... but others just give a cursory glance. they dont notice Hunter has a lump on his nose, Shadow is more aqualine in his features... you know, in the dark even they all look completely different!!

-ashley

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
you know, in the dark even they all look completely different!!

-ashley

Oh yeah, I can totally tell who is who in the dark. Apart from the fact Vlad is bigger than Oksana, the shape of their head and faces are different.

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
I see my animals as "boys" or "girls", whichever sex they are, too. When people call them that wrong one :yell:, but I realize they don't see what I do.

When I look at my animals I don't see a cat or dog I see their personalities.

I know to some people they are just animals, but to me they're like little furry people LOL.

TMac
October 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Alot of times people assume Toby is a she even though he's a boy. Probably because he such a "pretty boy". My husband even calls him a metrosexual sometimes! :laughing::laughing: He does seem to enjoy being groomed and pretty!

JanM
October 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Everyone thinks Bobby is a girl because his Golden curls are what every female would die for :laughing: Some think Amber is a girl (which she is) and some think boy... I can't figure out why because to me Bobby is all boy and Amber is all girl (Goldens that is)... Shadow, my tailless kitty is jet black and everybody asks if he is boy or girl.. To me, Shadow is all cat and his boyness doesn't seem to be prominent - he is just a beautiful, mischevious kitty!

clm
October 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
I have 3 female cats, and other than the Calico (since there are no male calico's), no I wouldn't say by looking at them they look female.
My big indoor/outdoor male, yes I would say looks male to me, but just because of his size not because he has any noticible features other than that. My previous 2 cats were both boys, and Toby the himi, because of the beautiful blue eyes and long hair, people always mistook him for a female, little Max was always branded as a female because he was so tiny....again, neither one had a male look about them.

Now with dogs.....if you're dealing with purebreds, usually you can notice a definate difference between the sexes, females are usually smaller and slighter in bone structure and coat length, etc. Mixed breed dogs, I would never be able to tell just by looking at them.

Cindy

joeysmama
October 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Ha ! When I look at Cooper I see a little boy. Not a little boy dog--a little BOY ! He reminds us of a toddler.

And it's funny becaues I never said that to anyone but after my cousin watched him for a weekend she said that they thought he was more like a little boy than a dog.

I don't know what that says about us ! LOL !! I'm not even sure I want to know!:laughing::crazy:

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
LOL, I think it says that you love your little guy and spoil him rotten.

But that's a good thing, right?:D

Riluke
October 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
To me, it's obvious that our cats are two girls and a boy, but people usually call the most petite, girly one "he"...I think because of her name (Riley).

D

My son Riley would be having a fit if you said his name was girly-- so would the other boy named Rylye that he goes to daycare with :D

I have a mixed breed and a lot of people ask me what HER name is...at which point I tell them HIS name is Luke...then they still insist on referring to him as a her.

I think of him as a big goofy boy. It is hard to tell with the mixed breed -or as my son said today "he has the body and legs of a weiner dog and the face of a coyote dog." - he doesn't really but he's six and I thought it was cute.

bendyfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
My son Riley would be having a fit if you said his name was girly-- so would the other boy named Rylye that he goes to daycare with :D

My point exactly...Riley IS a boy's name...one that I've given to a girlie-looking cat (silly me)!
:D

Jim Hall
October 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

well i got all exisential on y'all

I see my DU as a girl
sometimes my pretty girl
sometimes my brave grrrlllllll

bendyfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

well i got all exisential on y'all

Yep you shore did! It was great:crazy:

krdahmer
October 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
With my 3 boys and 3 girls it is so obvious to me which is which, the boys are so much more rambunctious and the girls are so refined. They all have such preciously individual personalities and I get so bent outta shape when someone says 'he' to my Windy..... I mean she's my little beauty queen how can they not see that. But then not everyone is attached as me (well maybe my family, they all know my cats almost as well as me I talk about them so much!). I have no children yet, and I was considering the other day the thought of what if I never did.... I really feel that I wouldn't be missing out, these wonderful little cats have brightened my life so much. They have so much love to give, and really are my family as much as the two legged members.

And I know what you mean Ancient.... I can tell who it is in the dark just by the way they jump....heck I can even tell them by their meows too! (Thats what you get for talking to cats all day:rolleyes::laughing:!)

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
With my 3 boys and 3 girls it is so obvious to me which is which, the boys are so much more rambunctious and the girls are so refined. They all have such preciously individual personalities and I get so bent outta shape when someone says 'he' to my Windy..... I mean she's my little beauty queen how can they not see that. But then not everyone is attached as me (well maybe my family, they all know my cats almost as well as me I talk about them so much!). I have no children yet, and I was considering the other day the thought of what if I never did.... I really feel that I wouldn't be missing out, these wonderful little cats have brightened my life so much. They have so much love to give, and really are my family as much as the two legged members.

And I know what you mean Ancient.... I can tell who it is in the dark just by the way they jump....heck I can even tell them by their meows too! (Thats what you get for talking to cats all day:rolleyes::laughing:!)

Me too on all counts here.

Heck, I just turned 40 a few months ago, and seeing as I'm single and have no prospects, I have a feeling I'm ever only going to have the 4 legged furry kind of babies. They are my joy.

You know, when Oksana jumps on the bed, I know its her, because she's so much lighter. When Vlad is walking on me, I know its him. When I hear a meow in the middle of the night, I know its Vlad. When I wake up and see a silhouette of a kitty, I know by the profile its Oksana. I can even tell them apart by stroking their fur. They both have soft fur, but Oksana's feels finer than Vlads.

CyberKitten
October 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
I see my girls as well, girls, lol - YY is a girly girl and a real diva. The Sphynx Girls are very bonded but very affectionate and clothes hogs so they too fit the girly category. All 3 are born acrobats though. As foe Beau, he knows he is s special being the only guy and he is a quiet sort but taking it all in and enjoying himself. He is the latest addition to the family and YY is the alpha cat but there is no jealousy - they all get equal time. I definitely see him as a guy - but not one who is athletic or macho. Lives with too many women, lol

Ford Girl
October 3rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
I see Pubert, my male cat as very manly, he's a tough guy with no issues vocalizing his dislike for things and demanding somthing better, so much kittytude...straight from the jungle, prowling...hunting treats..on the other hand, he's a snuggle bug, but on his terms his way. A gangsta....mob boss...the big cheese....a tough guy...forgettaaboutit :cat: :laughing: :lovestruck:

Dazy, well, I see her as an entertainer...glamorous, dramatic and demanding, but always on cue, staring in a comedy or light drama, her softer side is intuitive, sensitive of everyones feelings, comical and very much a people dog. (like most goldens) :dog: :laughing: :lovestruck:

It's obviously to those who know them that they are a boy and a girl, no one really asks cuz of their names.

Riluke
October 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
My point exactly...Riley IS a boy's name...one that I've given to a girlie-looking cat (silly me)!
:D

Of course having said that, there is a girl there named Riley too :laughing:.

Oh the confusion....:p

Dracko
October 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
When I had my 3 older cats (2 have passed away) I KNEW who was who in the dark if they jumped on the bed mostly by WHERE they came on to the bed, but also cuz of their weight.

Now with the one older one and 4 younger I get confused once in a while as I haven't spent enough time with the younger ones yet (1 month with the 2 youngest). I know Teiya's meow, though. She screams, not meows! Very high pitched.

It's odd for me not to be 100% sure who a cat is that is lying on me w/o looking to check. I'm sure in time I'll have it down, though, like I did with my older cats.

jiorji
October 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
i see my cats as personalities trapped in cat bodies :cat::cat:

Dracko
October 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
i see my cats as personalities trapped in cat bodies :cat::cat:

PERFECTLY said. :thumbs up

dtbmnec
October 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
I can always tell them apart....though at first if they sat with their backs to me it was hard.

Pawz has the curly tail. He's also got this pathetic meow.

Leo has a straight tail and has a very demanding meow.

Pawz can be summed up in one word: Garfield. He's lazy. He'll eat anything. Yet at the same time if given enough incentive he'll play just as hard as Leo.

Leo can be summed up in a sentence: He lives life on the edge. He's the leader. He's the one who does all the crazy stunts first. He lives hard and plays hard.

Megan

Frenchy
October 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
I just came back from the vet with Nelly and 2 customers tought she was a he :shrug: But the way they said it , I didn't really care.

One said : I love his coloring

Second one said : OMG he's a beauty

I said thank you to both and told them she was all girl. :cloud9:

Dracko
October 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Speaking of our pets characteristics...I find it amazing that I have 5 cats and there is not a single one that is dominate. No one who eats first, pushes the others out of the way when they cuddle with me, takes the toys, etc. Ginkgo, on occasion, will try to "sneak" in closer to me when someone is laying with me but never pushy. More like creaping closer very slowly to see if anyone will stop her or even notice she is doing it.

jiorji
October 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
PERFECTLY said. :thumbs up

thank you :D

mummummum
October 3rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
Declan just because of his size and plodding, wolfish way looks very masculine but I'm always amazed when people refer to Ceili and Bridie as "guys" or "boys" ~ to me they are VERY grrrl-y looking. Unfortunately MOST people think they're boyz ~ maybe I should follow Dubya's lead and get them hot pink accessories :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
October 4th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I see Duffy as my little :angel:, my sweet purr-y love bug, she's all girl but tough, take charge & watchful just like me :D

Some non cat people have asked how old is HE? to which I reply SHE is 16 years old :)

It is extremely rare to have either a torti {Duffy} or a calico {Mischief} that is a boy, or an all orange (no white) tabby that is a female - these anomlys do happen but very rarely :)

ancientgirl
October 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I've only got two and Vlad is clearly the dominant one. But now and then he lets Oksana manhandle him, or should I say, cathandle. I love that they are two such individual beings.