Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flea Allergy Dermatis- Hair Loss

Annienmyst
October 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
We are having a bad flea season in my area, and my poor pug, Max just got through a bad case of flea allergy dermatitis. The cats, seem to have come through it just fine, and what little hair they lost has alreay grown back. However, the poor pup is still shedding (reddness and bumps gone) and his hair is just starting to come in in the bare pathes. How long before his hair grows back and he looks like himself again, instead of having been hijacked by an insane barber?

Also, he has recently become afraid of the dark. We just moved a few months ago, and this house is very dark at night. Mainly, its when he wants to get up or down from the bed (my bed..our bed) I had chalked it up to his getting older, plus the cats get cranky when he jumps on them. But I am curious, could this be a sign of his eyesight going. He has no other symptoms of poor eyesight.

Thanks for any info you have.

bendyfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Hair loss is a funny one...it can really vary, depending on the breed.
Your puglet shouldn't take too long to grow in his fur. Our german shepherd Jaida had half her upper body shaved for a surgery in June, and we can STILL tell where it was shaved. The underfur came in pretty quickly, about a month, but the top hairs are still kinda puny (at least to us, most people don't notice) compared to the rest of her beautiful coat...so that's um...almost 4 months, and still a bit patchy...
Give it time, but the worst is over pretty quickly.

Not sure about the eyesight, but any change in behaviour is worth mentioning to a vet....good luck!

krdahmer
October 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Fagan has an allergy issue too, and he licks the fur off repeatedly, he has one spot on his belly around his boob that only grows a little peach fuzz now. I guess it depends on each animal, and the severity of the skin irritation.

growler~GateKeeper
October 4th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah it all depends on the individual animal re how long the hair grows back could be a week - a couple of weeks/a month or two, you might want to look into Program (or other similar products) year round to help prevent an outbreak next year & also supplementing with Omega 3 for the skin conditioning.

As for the eyesight - night vision is the first thing to go, keep an eye on how he reacts to things in his environment ie something/someone coming towards him from the sides peripheral vision is usually the next to go after night vision. Also whether he walks to the perimeter of the room instead of through the middle this is also a sign - them lessening the chance of someone sneaking up on them & also the walls provide a guide as to where to walk. You could try night lights in the hallway - the perfect height for a pug :)

Having said that it could also be a reaction to the cat if he got swatted at for disturbing the cats' beauty sleep ;)