Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

anal glands

wildhair
October 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
My dog began bleeding from the rectum 2 days ago. I did not realize this was the problem at first until I gave him a bath and tried to dry him and the towel was then covered in blood.
I took him to the vet and they said that his glands were sevierly infected. they drained the infection and I believe they cut out the gland.
from the way the vet was describing the problem, it was much like a hemorrhoid that my poor little poopsie was dealing with.
Anyhow.... after cutting out the gland, or the pocket... the vet left the hole to drain.
And it is.... all over my house. Does anyone know of a solution to the blood problem? I tried doggie diapers, but the "tail hole" is right where his incision is, so it is useless.
Also, the vet gave him some pain pills and anti-biotics that are to be taken 2 times a day each.
I gave him the pills about 3 hours ago and he is still crying. Whining and panting. Is there something else I can do for him? Something to help him sleep? calm down? anything?
Is this normal?

Wildhair

badger
October 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Whining and panting indicates that his pain is not under control. I'd call your vet right away or take him back in to be checked.
Sometimes pain pills can take a couple of doses to kick in. Please don't increase the amount without talking to the vet.
As for the draining, can you confine him in a crate, or a room -the bathroom, for instance - where it isn't so much of a problem? Put down lots of newspapers or old blankets? He should probably be kept fairly quiet for a couple of days, in any case.
Poor fellow. This, too, shall pass.

rainbow
October 3rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
I agree with Badger. Poor little guy.....it must be quite painful for him. :grouphug:

mastifflover
October 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Definitely call the vet, and if he/she says it is nothing. I would call another one. The poor thing should not be in the kind of pain that would make the whine and cry. Maybe the meds are not the right one for the dog. Like any drug it is not one size fits all. For instance my dog cannot have certain anastesias (sp) they will kill him. So call and double check and ask if there is anything else you can do to make him more comfortable

wildhair
October 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the replies for my poocher.
He is doing a little better tonight.
I did take him back to the vet and the other gland had begun to become infected as well.
He is still running a temp. tonight and is pacing a bit, but no whining, panting or crying, just very clingy.

The vet did give the AOK to increase his pain meds.

I take him back in again tomorrow. we will see what his progress then brings.

Thanks again for the replies.

rainbow
October 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Did the vet remove the other gland as well or just drain it? Hugs for your poor dog :grouphug: and good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

wildhair
October 4th, 2007, 02:36 AM
no, this one he just drained.
She (the vet) would rather not remove the other one if possible.
She said that dogs need the lubrication the gland produces.

But if the infection keeps reoccurring, then it will have to be done.