Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Adopted Your Pet Today

luckypenny
October 3rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
An old girlfriend called me this evening asking where she can unload her 1 1/2 year old, untrained, non-exercised, hyper Black Lab :frustrated: :sad:. It made me think of an email I was sent by another friend (a fierce animal lover) and I so badly wanted to forward it to the Lab owner.

I don't know if this has ever been posted here, but I thought I'd share. I loved it.

I Adopted Your Pet Today

I adopted your pet today...
The one you left at the pound;
The one you had for ten years
And no longer wanted around.

Did you know that he's lost weight?
Did you know he's scared and depressed
And seems to have lost all faith?

He had fleas and a little cold;
Guess you don't care what shape he's in
You abandoned him I am told.

Were you having a baby or moving away?
Did you suddenly develop allergies,
Or was there NO reason he couldn't stay?

He doesn't play or even eat much;
I guess he's very sad inside and
It'll take time for him to trust.

And here he is going to stay;
He's found his FOREVER home
And a warm bed in which to lay.

And shall give him all that he will need
Patience, love, and security,
So he can forget your selfish deed.

Author Unknown

I :pray: this poor pup finds a suitable family soon.

growler~GateKeeper
October 3rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: for the Lab :cloud9:

Great poem - should be posted on shelter doors everywhere

makes you wonder why people get pets in the first place if they are unwilling to provide for them for the rest of their lives :sad:

rainbow
October 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Send me the girls email addy and I'll forward it to her. :evil:

I've never seen that poem before....thanks for sharing. :thumbs up And, I agree, it should be on every shelters door along with this sign....

coppperbelle
October 3rd, 2007, 05:56 AM
Send me the girls email addy and I'll forward it to her. :evil:

I've never seen that poem before....thanks for sharing. :thumbs up And, I agree, it should be on every shelters door along with this sign....

The dog will be better off in a home where he is wanted and loved. Don't send her the poem until after she surrenders the dog.

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Great poem. A few years ago, my cousin and her then husband bought their kids a lab for Christmas. I always felt sorry for that dog. While he was a puppy the kids loved him, but then once he was getting older they fought over who's turn it was to walk him, because nobody wanted to be bothered.

Thankfully they found it a home with someone who actually did want a dog.

The only problem now is they've adopted a Yorkie. I'm hoping that maybe this time, now that the kids are a little older and more responsible they will at least be able to commit to a smaller dog.

clm
October 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
You'll have to let us know how long they keep the Yorkie.....I love the little guys, but you have to be dedicated. Extremely hard to housebreak and can be nippy. I've seen 3 people at work who've adopted them and sent them back:frustrated: Research a breed first people, research :yell:

Cindy

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Oh boy, see that scares me now. They aren't the most responsible people. I hope I'm wrong though. The only good thing I can see is my dad's wife has Yorkies, so if anything she would probably take the poor little guy.

chico2
October 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Awww Luckypenny,what a tearjerker,only a person with a heart of stone would not react,luckily the ending is wonderful:dog: