Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neglect in pet shop

t.pettet
October 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Visited pet shop today for remedy for my sick guppies and noted 2 tiny black kittens meowing frantically in a cage. Owner said his nephew (8 yrs. old) had just found them (3 kittens) - newphew kept 1, the day before in a local park. They looked no more than 3 wks old and had such bloated tummies. He said he had bottle fed them a few times!!!:frustrated: so I suggested a warm moist towel wiped on their genitals to promote elimination and not to feed them anymore until they've atleast gone pee. No they're tough he says, so I offered to foster or take them to the vet or a kitty rescue but he refused. Of course he wants to sell them asap (anything to make a buck). As soon as I got out of there called the cruelty line. If these little babies were still alive when the agent arrived know they would have been seized. This pet shop owner/manager should be charged with neglect and not giving the kittens vet care. He should have called AC to report the find and all 3 kittens should have been taken to a clinic. I can't imagine the discomfort the wee things were feeling. I will never give him my business again.

susieqt
October 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
Good for you for speaking up! Some of these petshops are terrible, most of them don't know anything about properly caring for animals. Let us know what happens!!! :fingerscr for a good outcome.

rainbow
October 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
I second that. Greedy petshop owner. :frustrated: :mad: Glad you reported him and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

want4rain
October 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
we are so lucky i think. the one pet shop in the area who carries dogs and cats/rescues has this really kind hearted lady who owns it. the countys AC will bring kittens and leave them in a cage for her to peddle out, she takes them home on rotation, refuses to feed them Hills (wellness wet instead) and carrys a few of them around with her while she works.

let me tell you this, we make the 20 minute trip out there to get a leash thats for sure!! pay for her over priced bowls!! you betcha! the few times you run across people like that, you just hope more will shell out the money to keep her open.

-ashley

ancientgirl
October 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Poor kittens. I hope they got them out of there and I hope they fined that greedy ba$tard!

Love4himies
October 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Have you gone back today to check on the kittens?

mummummum
October 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Bravo to you Tpettet :highfive: Any updates? Maybe you could send in a spy!

t.pettet
October 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The owner of pet shop was given a citation to have kitties vet checked within a certain time frame or he would be charged with neglect and failure to provide necessary medical treatment so he turned them over to the inspector. They were going in for physicals, probable enemas and then to foster care. Yeah:) AC located residence of 3rd kitten and it was also taken to vets. Yeah, Yeah, :)The system does work if you're persistent enough although I know both AC and SPCA inspectors are so over-worked but these negligent money-hungry cruel individuals have to be shown that they can't get away with this type of animal abuse without reprocussions.

Love4himies
October 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM
:thumbs up:thumbs up:highfive::highfive: that is great news, t.pettet, you are a hero for saving these kittens lives!

ancientgirl
October 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I'm glad they were able to locate the third kitty too. Chances are he still hadn't seen a vet.

Frenchy
October 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Alright t.pettet ! :highfive: thank you thank you ! :thumbs up

mummummum
October 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
FANTASTIC !!! You saved those kitten's lives ~ BRAVO to YOU!

growler~GateKeeper
October 5th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Alright t.pettet ! :highfive: thank you thank you ! :thumbs up

I second that :thumbs up good job!!

jiorji
October 5th, 2007, 12:54 AM
wooohooo:D:cat:

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah. I'm glad you found out the outcome after phoning.:thumbs up