Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bordetella

allymack
October 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
ok, well today i noticed my dog had a cough. he only seems to be coughing on our walks and for a bit after. he was at a kennel last week so he might has got bordetella (kennel cough) there. does anybody know what it sounds like?? i know it can become more serious if left untreated, but since it is only on our walks and a bit after i am not sure, and it is even worse if he is pulling on his leash, any thoughts would be super, also i am going to book him a vet app. for a ssoon as i can, but i wil have to do it tomorrow.

hazelrunpack
October 2nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Bordatella can sound like a whoop, or a hacking cough, or even just a soft cough. Our dogs seem to have a talent for catching and sharing different varieties of bordatella. :rolleyes: :p

However, a lot of other things can cause a dog to cough after exercise--so I hope you can get a vet appt soon!

Does he pull much on his leash? Maybe he's just getting some irritation from his collar? :fingerscr

rainbow
October 3rd, 2007, 12:35 AM
It could just be from pulling on his leash if it's attached to his collar. Do you have a harness for him to try and see if that helps. Actually, I would recommend the Newtrix Easyway Headcollar (http://www.newtrix.ca/docs/index.php) if he's a serious puller.

Also, like Hazel said, a trip to the vet is wise to check for kennel cough or any heart or lung conditions. Actually, even worms can cause coughing. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
October 3rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
I too would recommend a vet visit & a Heartworm test - that will cause coughing (don't know where you are or if prevelent in your area, ie it's bad in parts of BC & ONT, MB etc etc) to go with the bordatella check.

A head collar is good even if just a slight puller, it doesn't put any pressure on the trachea therefore no gasping for air, extreme pullers can actually collapse their tracheas.

allymack
October 3rd, 2007, 05:13 AM
hey, thanks for all the responses! i managed to get him a vet app for today . and i use a gentle leader so, he isnt putting and extra pressure on his throat. but we will see what the vet has to say, i just hope he gives him something for the cough because it's a weird cough and i can't stand listening to it cause i know he is sick/getting sick. but i'll update you all when we get home from the vet later today.

allymack
October 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
well we just got back form the vets. enzo does have kennel cough but it is very mild, the vet didnt give us any meds for him right now cause she said it was mild and he has already been vaccinated..but he wasnt vacinated early enough before going to the kennel so that helped to lessen it. she said that if it got worse that we could just call her and she would give us the meds.but it shouldnt be to long before he is feeling better :)

growler~GateKeeper
October 4th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the update, glad to hear it is just a mild case :)

rainbow
October 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Hope Enzo recovers quickly and doesn't require any meds. :fingerscr :goodvibes: