Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is your dog's exercise schedule?

JanM
October 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
My dogs (2 Goldens) and I got out to the Beach every morning - rain, shine, wind - whatever. In the winter we walk for an hour (usually - sometimes more, sometimes less) and in the summer the dogs swim and walk and Amber chases a ball. This happens anywhere between 7 am and 9 am. The dogs sleep or just lie around until mid afternoon when we go out in the forest for about an hour's walk or walk through the downtown area. About once a week we go for a 2 hr walk with a pack of dogs (I walk, the dogs are racing around through the forest) and once a week we take a hike somewhere - usually 2 hrs to ?? (when we get lost it takes longer :D )

I guess I'm wondering if they are getting enough stimulation and exercise - sometimes I think they should be going out more during the day so I'm wondering what exercise schedules others are on.

hazelrunpack
October 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
We make ours rest for 2 hours after breakfast (they're deep-chested, therefore a breed prone to bloat) and then they're sorta self-exercising. :o They usually spend from 9 till about 11 or noon out in the yard, playing with toys (they love to chase Kongs) or digging (:rolleyes:), rolling toads (or each other :dog:), exploring in the off-limits garden (:frustrated:), pointing birds and varmints, and warning the entire neighborhood of sinister looking traffic rolling by on the road out front. That's pretty tiring, so they come in for an afternoon nap....everyone except Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie, who stays out to get muddier, mossier, and messier. :thumbs up :rolleyes:

It's sort of musical doors starting at about 2 p.m. when one or the other will wake up and want a potty break. That's Ms Macie's signal to come in and share her mud and moss with the rest of us. :D

They don't play much after supper--but they do go out for a couple of potty/poopy breaks before bedtime...

That's the usual Hazel Run exercise schedule. As it gets colder and the ticks subside, we'll be working in more outings in the woods! :thumbs up

luckypenny
October 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Our three get 1 1/2 hours of playtime in the yard (a continual chasing, digging, wrestling) + 1/2 hour walks each. This is before 7:30am. In the afternoon, they each get 1 to 1 1/2 hour walks and 1 hour playtime in the yard again. About an hour after dinner, they get another hour in the yard. And then another 1/2 hour before bedtime but they are usually too tired to play much at this time.

Because the weather's getting cooler and I've noticed their energy levels increasing during the day, I was thinking about cycling with them (individually of course) for 10-15 minutes each day, just to begin. We've already tried several times with Penny and she's awesome at this 'job'. Lucky is not too bad but gets easily distracted so it's a bit trickier with him (he actually pulled me off my bike twice :eek:, once to greet another dog and another time when he got spooked by a loud truck that passed by). I really have to be careful when choosing our routes with him. I'll try with Ava tomorrow as she walks wonderfully next to me. Hopefully she'll enjoy a short run as well.

clm
October 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Weekdays our 2 pups get 1/2 hour walk at 4:30am followed by outside play until 6am. Inside all day while we're at work. Back outside at 4:00pm to play for an hour. An hours walk at 7:00pm followed by outside play off and on until 10:00pm. Then it's time for bed.

Weekends, they play outside as much as they want and still get their 1 hour walk every evening.

Cindy

mastifflover
October 3rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
I take Bud for about a 1/2 hour walk in the morning. Then we come in Bud proceeds to lie down and do what he does best sleep. When I get home from work we go for another walk about an hour. Bud is very lazy and would prefer a shorter walk but I need excercise too. He likes the longer walks in the fall and winter. But if we find his friends then he will play with them. But when he gets tired he comes over and lies down beside me then I know he has had enough.

kigndano
October 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
my dog gets an hour long walk every morning, and then various outside times on his tie-out to sniff around and try to catch bees/birds/flies in his mouth.

kigndano
October 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
and a few times a week he plays with the neighbors dog, but lately he has been trying to wander off their yard so im going to stop that i think.

and also sometimes my dad takes him jogging for 30-45 minutes in the evening

Ford Girl
October 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hi! Dazy gets 30 mins in the early am, with a ball in an off leash field behind our house, then in the evenings it varies from play dates with other dogs to training to leash walking or more play in the field with her ball or the offleash park. 1 (minimum) day per week at day care for at least 8 hours, sometimes 2 depenidng on my DH's shift. We exercise her every day, at least an hour if we have nothing scedualed for her to do, and that's just enough to burn the edge off, but not enough to tired her. I try to do 2 hours a day total, if not more.

She is some tired today! Camping all weekend, agility Monday night, drop in doggie group play Tuesday night....I walked her this am, slowly, I think tonight we won't do much....let her recoop. :thumbs up

JanM
October 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
From everyone's responses, I feel that I'm not far out with my dogs and their exercise. I was feeling guilty that they just lie around from about 6 pm (just after their supper) until they go to bed at 9 pm.

I, too have a large fenced yard that they go out in - during the summer the door is open so they go in and out at will, in the winter they ask to go in and out.

So, now I can enjoy my quiet evenings without feeling guilty :D

Thanks, everyone!

Ford Girl
October 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
You know, I use to feel guilty when I left her alone for 6 hours during the day, when I took a week off once this summer I noticed she penned herself or napped for those hours anyways, other wise she was exhausted, I think if they are exercised and content, they are just fine to hang out with you in the evenings.

JanM
October 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
"I think if they are exercised and content, they are just fine to hang out with you in the evenings. "

I'm going to adopt that statement as my comeback to anyone who wonders why I don't walk the dogs at 10 pm!

TeriM
October 4th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Wow, some of you guys are major exercisers :eek:. Riley gets a minimum one hour walk/run mostly off leash and he is full on running and playing for most of that. Lucy is down to a much shorter leisurely walk daily or she is good for a longer walk every second day or so (she is eleven). Riley also gets daycare one day per week. Weekends are generally longer walks and/or hikes.

I find if I exercise early in the day then usually Riley needs a "top-up" in the evenings (play ball, work obedience, search etc.) but if I can delay until later in the day I get my evenings in peace :D.