Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog trust issues

lexie6025
October 1st, 2007, 11:06 PM
I am having an issue with my 3 year old Border Collie. I am unable to touch her if I think she has hurt herself or I need to help her in any way... I recently took her to the vet about a week ago and as soon as someone comes towards her with anything she thinks we are out to get her and flails and smashes into the walls, it was really ridiculous, she almost had to be sedated just for a vaccination!!!! By the time we left the vet there was blood all over the floor coming from her paw. Anyways now she is licking at her paw and freaks out (growling and snapping) whenever I reach towards it, and its like this with anything not just her paw. And I don't really know what to do if she wont even let me help her if she ishurt. How do I get her to trust me? Its really frusterating not being able to take her to the vet because of the way she acts and its ironic that she got hurt at the vet while bing vaccinated!! I just don't know what to do!

:cat:Thanks:dog:

clm
October 2nd, 2007, 06:29 AM
I wish I knew what to tell you. Our first dog was like that. Never had an issue with him until he got a cortizone shot in his leg by a vet I had years ago and never went back to afterwards. After that shot, anytime that dog was hurt or anytime you took him to the vet or even tried to clip his claws, he'd turn into Cujo. It was very stressful.
If he had to go to the vet, we'd have to toss a hotdog into a hockey bag, wait until he jumped in it and then zip up the hockey bag so just his head was sticking out. Once you picked up the bag and got his feet off the ground he would settle down. My current vet loved Freddie, even though we had to muzzle him every time he went there. The vet used to carry the dog in the hockey bag back to the car after his vet visits. :laughing:

Cindy