Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A little lump on my cat's belly...

andrea-7
October 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Hi! I'm hoping that I can get some help, I'm new to these forums but I can see that there are a lot of people out there so...here goes!

I am the proud owner of a (somewhat) spoiled 7 year old neutered male cat. He's just your regular shorthaired tabby and I recently took him to the vet, where he got a clean bill of health. Tonight, though, I noticed a small growth on the skin of his belly, towards the back, in the slightly flabby part.

Now, when I checked online most of the info I found talked about growths UNDER the skin. My cat's lump is growing out of the skin, almost like a pimple. I don't think that it's acne, though, because there's only one lump and it doesn't seem to hurt him at all. He even let me poke around at it for a bit, so his stomach is definitely not hurting because of the growth. It's not big, less than a centimeter long, if that. It's pinkish-red in color and kind of makes me think of a skin tag or a wart. The fur around it is a little sparse but he's nowehere close to being "bald".

Like I said before, he's in great health and this "bump" doesn't seem to be affecting him at all but I'm still wondering if I should take him back to the vet. (A little aside...getting him to the vets is a nightmare. I'm talking wrestling matches to get him into the cage, the vet suggesting that I sedate him next time...etc...) Or should I just relax and adopt a "wait and see" attitude? Best of all, does anyone have an idea as to what it might be??

Thanks soooo much! :-)

A sort of worried Andrea

badger
October 1st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Are you sure it's not a nipple? Males cats have them, go figger, and when they get a little poochy in the tummy area, the nipples do too.
If I am way off here and it is something foreign, wait and see, absolutely. If it changes radically or starts oozing, then off to the vet.

cheribob
October 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM
That was also my first thought - Is it a nipple?

krdahmer
October 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Nipple would be my first guess too, but he's 7, so I'm assuming you know he has those. What my vet told me even about lumps under the skin is to observe them for a couple weeks to watch for changes in size, shape or feel (hard or fluidy). Definitely consult with a vet if you are worried, an expert hand never hurts.

andrea-7
October 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Honestly, my first thought was also "Aha! A nipple" but then I discounted it because I figured that a male couldn't have nipples...whoops. Just goes to show how much I know. (My vet never pointed it out to me so I never knew that he had might have had one)

I will for sure keep an eye on it. I'm going to try and get a better look tonight, but getting my cat to sit still for 30 seconds is harder than getting an audience with the pope...hehehe. At least now I feel a bit reassured, I was worried that it was some kind of malignant growth.

Thanks so much for all of your advice, I really appreciate it.

Andrea

krdahmer
October 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Ya male cats have nipples too.... just like men, completely useless and just for show! :laughing:

I have three boys and three girls and some of the boys have more nipples than the girls, I guess there can be a range of how many each has too, mine are from 4-8. And one of mine has an inverted nipple too.

Shaykeija
October 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=krdahmer;484963]Ya male cats have nipples too.... just like men, completely useless and just for show! :laughing:

OMG LMAO :laughing::laughing::laughing:

rainbow
October 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
Ya male cats have nipples too.... just like men, completely useless and just for show! :laughing:

:laughing: Good one !!! :laughing:

krdahmer
October 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
:laughing: LOL.... I meant that their nipples were useless and just for show.... :rolleyes: :D But I guess the other interpretation is just as good (and way funnier)!