Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

parvo

kara1
October 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Hi all I'm just curious about a puppy I might adopt, she has parvo right now and i was wondering is there any health side effects that i should be worried about for this dog in the future?

breeze
October 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Parvo, is very dangerious, Is the pup under vet care as we speak??

Has the pup been in your house?? if so there are precations you must take, wash everything in bleach solution to kill the virus..

As far as the after care, when the pup pulls through, you must consult your vet, the vet will be able to answer most of your questions..

IMO, when she recovers then it is a matter of builing up the pups ammune system slowly, and to make sure the pup eats a healthy diet. I know of a couple of dogs that had it pulled through and now is leading a healthy, happy, and playful live.

luckypenny
October 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
As long as aggressive supportive treatment started shortly after her symptoms began, she stands a good chance of complete recovery. However, you would have to be extremely cautious in order to avoid infecting other dogs, especially young pups who have not yet been fully vaccinated against Parvovirus. She should have no contact with any unvaccinated puppies and this would include not allowing her to eliminate in public areas where other pets or humans can access. There are many precautions you would have to take for the next several months. I would suggest you google-search Parvo in order to protect others from transmission.

:fingerscr that she'll be fine in no time and ready for her new home.

kara1
October 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
No the dog has never been at our house. i am worried because we have dogs at our neighbours and dont now if they are vaccinated My friend that comes over lots her dog cant have vaccinations because the dog is allergic. i've heard you have to keep them fairly isolated because they can pass it on up to 2 years after. I've also heard that they can be very unhealthy, weak and have heart problems for the rest of there lives.