Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen senior

mika140
October 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
Wondering if anyone has been feeding the Orijen senior food. It looks like excellent quality and I'm considering it for my 9 yoa GSD....just curious if it's working out for anyone.

luckypenny
October 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM
We don't feed kibble but I've heard only wonderful things about Orijen from others including owners of holistic pet food stores. Two of the stores I frequent have a hard time keeping up with demand as pet-owners are extremely satisfied with the results so far. I don't think you could go wrong with giving it a try :thumbs up.

mika140
October 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks! Their senior product looks wonderful....I just hadn't heard any mention of anyone using it around here and thought I'd check. As long as I'm not hearing any negatives I think I'll go ahead with it....the ingredients look great.

Bentley'sMom
October 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
We've had our 6 year old golden ret. on Orijen Adult for 9 months and are so pleased with the results. No more hot spots or yeast ear infections and much improved coat. She acutally needed to lose a few pounds and even though the Orijen has more calories and fat than some formulas, I think the absence of grains makes it easier to stay lean. When the time comes to consider a senior formula, I like the fact that the Orijen Senior still has 14% fat. I believe there are too many senior formulas out there that are dangerously low in fat (resulting in poor coats and other problems) and too low in protein.

mika140
October 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Sounds great! Thanks for the input....I think their senior food looks excellent too - can't wait to rotate it in :thumbs up

Goldens4Ever
October 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
We've had our 6 year old golden ret. on Orijen Adult for 9 months and are so pleased with the results. No more hot spots or yeast ear infections and much improved coat. She acutally needed to lose a few pounds and even though the Orijen has more calories and fat than some formulas, I think the absence of grains makes it easier to stay lean. When the time comes to consider a senior formula, I like the fact that the Orijen Senior still has 14% fat. I believe there are too many senior formulas out there that are dangerously low in fat (resulting in poor coats and other problems) and too low in protein.

I am glad to hear that the Orijen is going over so well with people. But, I want to tell you that adding 1-2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin coconut oil to the daily regimen can aid in weight loss because it provides a concentrated source of fat, which is fuel for energy. The more energy a dog has, the more active they will be, resulting in desired weight loss. Just a suggestion....

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
October 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I have my nine year old spayed female Shiba Inu ("Suki") and my ten year neutered male Scottie ("Hamish") on Orijen Senior and they love it, and I'm impressed by the food's results :) I also love how the food is Canadian made -- it's so popular (here at least) that the Pet Valu and Ryan's Pet Food stores around her have trouble keeping it on the shelf!

mika140
October 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Sounds excellent....can't wait to try it! Thanks for the feedback :thumbs up