Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Again Coconut Oil

russte
October 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hi Everyone, sorry I'm on the suject again, I just got back from the city and bought some extra virgin coconut oil and indeed it is "Yummy", but besides bread and crackers how do you introduce it in cooking and giving it to our pets?? I would appreciate any responces and recipes you could give, Thanks guys:thumbs up russte

jiorji
October 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM
just dip a food pellet in it.

Coconut oil has no smell or taste so they're reluctant to eat anything tasteless

pitgrrl
October 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM
just dip a food pellet in it.

Coconut oil has no smell or taste so they're reluctant to eat anything tasteless

I find the taste so overpowering that I can't eat it :shrug:
The dogs love the stuff, but I can't manage to cover up the taste with anything.

ancientgirl
October 1st, 2007, 03:04 PM
I bought mine at the Vitamin shoppe, and its Organic 100% Virgin Coconut Oil, and it does have a slight coconutty scent to it as well as taste.

My cats both lick it off the spoon I give it to them from. They love the taste. You might try melting a bit of it into food to see if they like it.

I actually use it sometimes in place of cooking oil. I brushed some on top of a filet mignon steak I had this weekend and blanched some veggies with it and it added a nice flavor to both. I don't like to add a lot of salt to my cooking or too many spices, and this gave the food it a nice subtle sweet flavor.

rainbow
October 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Mine tastes like coconut too.....mmmmmm good. :cloud9: I haven't tried giving it to the cats yet but the dogs love it. I just add it on top of their kibble. :)

russte
October 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM
I tried it on some bread with peanut butter and honey, it was WONDERFUL! How much would you add to their food, maybe a couple of teaspoonfuls?:DNo doubt my girls will love it:dog: russte

luckypenny
October 1st, 2007, 11:05 PM
I started with just a 1/4 teaspoon (with my dogs) for a few days. Then increased it to 1/2tsp daily for Lucky and Ava, and 1tsp daily for Penny (she's had combination dry/flaky/oily skin).

I don't care much for the taste but they sure do love it.

jiorji
October 1st, 2007, 11:06 PM
hmm odd...it didn't smell like anything to me lol

maybe cos i have the frozen one that melts when you take it out.

mummummum
October 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
The Nutiva bran smells and tastes very strongly of coconut. Now that the weather has chilled, mine has solidified so I nuke it for a few seconds to liquify then mix it in with their kibble. Roughly one tablespoon per dog.

russte
October 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
mmmmmmmmmm, do you eat it yourself, or just give it to your dogs?:D If so how do you cook with it or eat it?? Thanks russte

mummummum
October 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
:laughing:Don't be ridculous! I can't afford that sort of thing for myself !! :laughing:

But something like shrimp and rice would be spectacularly delicious fried in coconut oil. Check out West Indian and Thai cookbooks ~ they use alot of coconut.

rainbow
October 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM
:laughing:Don't be ridculous! I can't afford that sort of thing for myself !! :laughing:

Isn't that the truth. :D I do lick the spoon off though. :o

wildhair
October 4th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I am seeing these posts about coconut oil... I have surfed through and cant seem to find what additional post this might pertain to.
Just what does the coconut oil do?
<besides taste fabulous when frying shrimp that is>:crazy:

rainbow
October 4th, 2007, 02:35 AM
It's been discussed in several threads here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40731&highlight=coconut+oil

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43716&highlight=coconut+oil

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44957&highlight=coconut+oil