Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crating Puppy

butkus
October 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
Don't know if I am in the right forum or not but here it goes. We have an 9 week old puppy that we are crate training. He is 3lbs and is tiny. Well I got up this morning and was putting on my robe and was getting ready to get butkus out of the crate when he jumped up on the crate door and managed to get his paw stuck. He was crying and I panicked because I couldn't open the latch on the door to get him out as his paw was right there near it. We did get the door opened and his paw was fine but now I am worried that this may happen while we are gone today. Is he too young or small to be in a crate? We have to keep him up for his own safety as I have caught him trying to chew on electrical cords and everything else. What can I do to make this safer for him?

mastifflover
October 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
This is actually in the wrong forum should be in training. But I think the pup may be too small and young for a crate. A couple of suggestions puppy proof one room this means getting on the ground and seeing everything your pup sees cords, threads hanging down anything they can chew or get into. Remove them and baby gate the room. This is also a suggestion for a different type of crate. Looks much safer. But pups should only be crated 1 hour for every month old they are. So crating all day is not a good choice for a pup this young.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-8419

butkus
October 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thank you for answering my post. I'll try the bathroom. No cords or anything in there for him to get into. I love the idea of the playpen. That looks much safer than the crate! I will let you know how the bathroom went. :thumbs up

P.S. Sorry about the wrong forum administrators feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

butkus
October 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Just an update. I got butkus a play pen at a used baby clothes store. I only paid $20. It's in great shape. I feel so much safer with it than the crate. And I think he will grow to like it. Hope the picture works. Thanks for your help mastifflover.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce23b3127ccebcabe8af6ad600000026108AbMWjZy3bNP

shredy
October 3rd, 2007, 01:02 AM
Ok, so is that him in there or some adorable little plush stuffed animal, because I really can't tell :cloud9::cloud9::lovestruck: What a cutie!!!

rainbow
October 3rd, 2007, 02:33 AM
OMG....he is so cute :cloud9: and, he does look like a little stuffed toy. :lovestruck:

butkus
October 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Awwww. Butkus says thanks for the compliments. It's him. He does in fact have a stuffed bunny in there with him you just can't see all of it. But in front of his mouth are the ears. Bunny will have to go though because he is sitting in the water bowl that I put in there with him. Plus he keeps trying to teach bunny things that he ought not be doing at his age.:D

That will be my next project though getting him neutered. I just don't know how old he has to be to have that done. It's been so long since we had a puppy. By the way he is a poodle. Our other beloved poodle died at the beginning of the year. We had him for 13 1/2years. So we decided it was time for another.

mastifflover
October 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Good work he looks pretty content and very cute. I am sure you feel a lot better leaving him alone now. Having a giant breed a play pen never occurred to me but good thinking. I think 6 months would be a good age for neutering but check with your vet. The earlier the better:thumbs up