Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How heavy should my husky be...?

canadiangirl
May 24th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Happy long weekend all!
Took my old (almost 13!) Siberian Husky in for his annual shots yesterday and everything checked out fine. We also had a "geriatric" blood test done just to see that everything is fine in that area as well. In her report though, the vet wrote that he is a bit "lean", weighting in at 51 lbs. I have actually thought of late that he's been putting on weight (its probably the masses of fur he is shedding though :D ). How heavy should an older husky be? He's always been a smaller husky, especially for a male, but I thought the breed is supposed to be around 50-65 lbs?

Princesss04
May 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM
I read somewhere I am not sure where if I remeber they can be from 50 to 70 pounds. But I am not all the way sure. I would call your vet that you took him too and ask the front desk and ask what that statement meant and what you should do about it. Good luck and let me know what the vet said. :D

Lucky Rescue
May 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM
A good way to tell if your dog is too heavy or too thin is to lightly run your hands along his side. If you can easily feel his ribs under the flesh, he is probably good weight.
If his ribs are sticking out like a washboard, he is too thin. If you can't feel them at all unless you press hard, he is too heavy.

Princesss04
May 24th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Hopefully that does not apply to people! LOL :D

mona_b
May 24th, 2004, 03:03 PM
LMFAO@Princess..... :D

Well my sister has 3.Her male is 55lbs,her 2 females are about 45lbs.

Males are about 50-60lbs.....Females average in at about 35-50lbs.