Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What food is best?

rjesak
October 1st, 2007, 10:52 AM
I've been here before so as some of you know, I have a passel of cats. I'm trying to switch them from a bottomless bowl of dry food to a regular canned food feeding but I'm not sure how to go about it. Since I've never done canned food, how much do I give them?

Also, what general multi-cat food would you recommend? I have three male cats and three female. I haven't had any trouble with UTIs in any of them (yay!). My biggest problem is that two of them have a LOT of hairballs :yuck: and one of them has a slightly sensitive stomach. :yuck::yuck:

So how do I pick? I want a holistic food if I can find it. I see a lot of people reference Orijen on this site and, though I live in the states, there are a few places that carry it. Is that my best option?

Let me know what you think. The only thing I know about cats is that they're carnivores so I probably want a meat based diet. My cats also seem anti-chicken from what I've seen of the cat foods I've given them now. They seem to prefer fish and beef flavors. I'd like to say they'lll eat what I give 'em, but, ahem, really, is there any use pretending they don't rule the roost??? :D

sugarcatmom
October 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM
First of all, good for you for wanting to make the switch to canned! Here's hoping it all goes smoothly and you don't have any resistors. Some good info on choosing a food can be found here: http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm I'm a fan of the grain-free Wellness varieties, but most contain chicken (even the "Turkey" and "Turkey & Salmon"), so that might be a problem, although if you can find their new "Beef & Salmon" flavour, it should be a hit in your house (and it doesn't have chicken).

As for Orijen, they only make dry food, no canned (but I wish they would!).

If you have any problem with dry-food addicts not wanting to make the switch (that was the case with my guy) check out some tips on transitioning here: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

Good luck!

sugarcatmom
October 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Forgot to add that for hairball problems, there are a few things you can try. This website (http://www.holisticat.com/hairball_arch1.html) has a recipe for psyllium gel:

For hairballs:
Combine 1/4 cup powdered psyllium husks with 3/4 cup warm water and let stand until it forms a soft gel. Add 1 tsp gel to the morning meal and 1 tsp to the evening meal.

You might have to increase the amount of water if the gel is too thick. Some people also suggest canned plain pumpkin (not pie mix) added to the food, or using digestive enzymes. A tsp of olive oil works for some. I like to keep a pot of cat grass around for helping get hairballs out, but you have to watch out for the inevitable little green "presents". Basically, it's just trial and error until you find something that works.

There's also the possibility that with a high quality, high protein diet, your cats' coat conditions improve (softer, less shedding) and hairball issues diminish.

As for amounts to feed, that too will be a bit of trial and error. Most cats do well on between 6-9oz of canned per day, but that varies with age, size, metabolism, type of food, etc. You could start with what's recommended on the side of the can and then adjust from there.

Love4himies
October 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
My cats also seem anti-chicken from what I've seen of the cat foods I've given them now. They seem to prefer fish and beef flavors. I'd like to say they'lll eat what I give 'em, but, ahem, really, is there any use pretending they don't rule the roost??? :D

I am also in the processes of changing my senior extremely picky cat to a better quality, low phosphorus, low acid, canned food. She is used to having a bottomless bowl of kibble and fed canned twice a day, fish flavours only because that was the only kind she would eat, or so I thought. After trying many different types of canned food, I tried Nature's Variety Instinct, canned chicken. She loved it!! I have since tried her on the beef, and she loves that too (not crazy about venison). She would never eat any chicken flavoured food before this brand. It is grain and by product free.http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?r=0739631&page=1172&-session=naturesvariety:820F6CBC1876f120D1KHU352497 3

chico2
October 2nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
I have tried and am trying all kinds of different canned foods,their favourite,Fancy Feast,is what I am trying to get away from..
Wellness cans was an absolute no,no...not even chubby Vinnie would touch it.
Others I've tried,Old Mother Hubbard etc...also no success.
Yesterday I got some Merrick canned,of course they like the most expensive:laughing:
So,I'll go with Merrick for now and see what happens.
Of course,you having 6 cats,it could get very expensive..I have 3.
They also have a bowl of Orijen and Solid Gold for snacking 24/7.

rjesak
October 2nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
::GRIN:: Yes, I think this will be a very expensive proposition for me, but I can't continue feeding them what I am and the way I am. Only one of my cats is overweight but he IS overweight so I need to modify their diet to a regulated feeding in any case. Right now I'm giving them stuff I'm ashamed to name so it's gotta stop. I wouldn't give my kids Kraft Mac & Cheese :yuck: (though I love the stuff:o) so I can't give the cats it's pet version!

Thanks so much for all the help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :lovestruck:I'm going to order a variety of the Wellness, Merrick, and Nature's Instinct and see what they like. Then I'll go from there.

Thanks again. You've been really helpful!

rjesak
October 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Ok, this is just hilarious. I got my samples yesterday so this morning I pulled out the Evangers Organic Braised Chicken. Now I haven't fed them canned food in years, but as soon as I opened the can, they came running - even the one all the way at the top of the stairs!!!!

They cried and cried and seemed VERY happy when I put the food down for them and they totally went crazy for it - or they seemed to. I put down three 5.5 ounce cans for the six cats and there's a TON left. I haven't taken their dry food away yet though, so maybe they just weren't hungry??? I guess I'll leave it down for a while in case they go back to it.

Only one problem is Gus. The other cats really went to town on the food but Gus, although he seemed as excited as all the others when I put it down, only ate one or two bites. I hope I find one he likes.

The other issue, and maybe you have some suggestions for me on this, is that I'm not sure how to schedule the feedings. Three days a week, I leave the house at five in the morning. Please don't tell me I have to get up at five EVERY morning. Would a feeding at five a.m. three days a week and seven the other four days be ok? (Of course, I'll feed them in the evenings too but that one I can manage).

sugarcatmom
October 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
The other issue, and maybe you have some suggestions for me on this, is that I'm not sure how to schedule the feedings. Three days a week, I leave the house at five in the morning. Please don't tell me I have to get up at five EVERY morning. Would a feeding at five a.m. three days a week and seven the other four days be ok? (Of course, I'll feed them in the evenings too but that one I can manage).

No, you absolutely don't have to feed them at the same time every day. If you think about it, cats in the "wild" would be eating whenever they could catch a meal, which is probably going to be a rather random event.

As for Gus not eating as much as the others, it might indeed be due to the dry food left out. You could try gradually leaving less and less dry down, or even just pick it up entirely. Make sure he doesn't go more than 24 hrs without eating though. Sprinkle powderized dry food on top of the canned if you need to entice him.

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2007, 03:13 AM

:laugh::laughing::laugh: I had to :laughing: @ that one :D My :cat: Duffy is on canned only (Wellness & Nature's Variety) & wakes me up without fail @ 4:30-5 am EVERY morning for breakfast - she's better than an alarm clock >^.^< :D

If you get yours to allow you to sleep in the extra 2 hours the other days have them talk to Duffy & see if they can get her to let me sleep in too :D

beckiandthetrio
October 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Hi--Just wondering how the switch went for you and the brood? I too am trying to switch over to wet only but havent yet. Any problems or suggestions you have would be great to hear!!

Becki