Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hey everyone new here with dog problem

dvela84
September 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
hey people, my name is david i am 22 in law enforcement and married, i have two rottweilers male and female (zeus and hera) the female is in good health but unfort. my male is not doing so well, about 3 months ago my male had an abdominal obstruction, from swallowing a whole piece of meat and wood, he became very ill after that vomitting, diaherra, weight lost, vet said best option was surgery, at that time it did not have the total amount for the surgery, so i gave him perl biotics, and colon cleanser everyday, and fed him cooked ground turkey with water, eventually the meat and wood came out of his system and he soon began to recover, i slowly started giving him dry dog food until he fully recovered. the good news is, that he did, he was gaining his weght back and was eating his normal amount of food, but then as he recovered he started eating wood again, but now his digestive system can not withstand the amount of wood that he eats. he now does not eat, has lost a subsantial amount of weight and when he tries to eat he either vomitts or loses his appetite. i have now started to give him colon cleanser in hopes to help his digestive system. it hurts to see my dog suffer like this, so if anyobody has any advice or has had similar experiences, please share them with me.

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. Where is the wood that Zeus keeps getting access to?

want4rain
September 30th, 2007, 11:38 PM
well, im convinced that a raw meaty bone and offal diet is the solution for all doggy problems, but thats just me. :D

if no one has a real concrete answer, maybe thats something worth looking into. having a whole chicken to work on provides mental and physical stimulation that may be what your pooch is craving.

im sure it would be hard to feed your dog something your vet will tell you WILL cause a blockage or bacterial sickness but remember, dogs ate uncooked animals for millions of years... :) blockages and bacterial infection are far less likely than on kibble.

i hope you guys figure it out. i vaguely recall we had a rottie as a kid who ate rocks. maybe it is something similar?

-ashley

dvela84
October 2nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
the wood cabinets in the garage and tree bushes in the backyard

luckypenny
October 3rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
he now does not eat, has lost a subsantial amount of weight and when he tries to eat he either vomitts or loses his appetite. i have now started to give him colon cleanser in hopes to help his digestive system. it hurts to see my dog suffer like this, so if anyobody has any advice or has had similar experiences, please share them with me.

First, I would seriously think about taking him back to the vet again. Most blockages don't clear out by themselves, with or without colon cleanser. Weight loss, vomiting after attempting to eat, and loss of appetite are sounding clear alarm bells.

As for the tree bushes in the yard, we've used an inexpensive mesh-type fencing to prevent our Lab from happily pruning the cedar hedges. Perhaps if you didn't allow him access to the wood cabinets in the garage :shrug:.

I would find other ways to help him satisfy his need for chewing. As want4rain suggested, raw meaty bones is one alternative or you could try stuffing a Kong with cottage cheese, peanut butter, kibble, etc..

But before trying any of this, please take him to the vet's once more to make sure he is alright. Good luck.

rainbow
October 3rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
I agree with Luckypenny. There is no way you can clear a blockage with colon cleanser. Your dog definitely needs to see a vet asap as he is seriously ill. :sad:

We also fence off trees/shrubs with chicken wire so our lab can't get at them. And, as luckypenny said, you should be able to prevent access to the cabinets in the garage. :)

Raw knuckle bones are a good choice for chewing as well as the Kongs (the black ones are best) filled with some kibble and natural peanut butter.

Also, how much exercise was he getting before he got so sick?

Again, please get him the vet attention he needs asap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Bmac38
October 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I agree with others take her to the vet . I know where you are coming from when you find it hard to pay for emergency vet care . MY Chow that passed last year had to have a operation a few years ago . The price was through the roof , I ended up selling most all my tools to help to pay for it . So here is what I do now , Might give you and others something to think about , espicially if you own more than one dog . I have a savings account I set up for my dogs care , in case energencies arise . I put what I can in there every payday . I try to keep a couple of thousand in it . I know it's easier said than done , we live on a tight budget ourselves and that's why we did this . You never know what tomorrow might bring . Like I said though , just some food for thought .

dvela84
October 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks you guys for your inputs

Bmac38
October 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Your welcome , How's he doing now ?

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I was also wondering how he was doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes: