Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pull tab top canned food

growler~GateKeeper
September 30th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I wanted to put this in the general so more people would see it.

As some of you know I have been researching CRF since Duffy was just diagnosed & came across this info re canned food with pull tab tops:

From http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional_requirements.htm#food_composition

Unfortunately, a recent study, Epidemiologic study of relationships between consumption of commercial canned food and risk of hyperthyroidism in cats (2004) Edinboro CH, Scott-Moncrieff JC, Janovitz E, Thacker HL & Glickman LT Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 224 (6) pp 879-886, indicates that cats who eat tinned food, particularly from pull-ring tins, appear to be at increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism. It is thought that this may be related to the lining used in these tins, bisphenol-A (BPA), a potential endocrine disrupter. It is therefore probably worth trying to feed your cat food from foil pouches or plastic trays rather than from tins. If you do use tins, be sure to store any leftover food in glass containers in the fridge rather than in the tins themselves. The Food Standards Agency has more information on this.

Food Standards Agency
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissues/factsbehindissues/tins/

Some cans are fully lacquered on the inside to control and reduce tin levels, and allow them to contain acidic foods.

Bisphenol-A is one of a large number of substances that may have the potential to interact with our hormone systems.

These substances are referred to as "endocrine disrupters". Research is still going on to establish whether or not bisphenol-A could have this effect in people. Particular concern has focused on the sex hormones, the female oestrogens and male androgens, because of their important roles in the development of the reproductive system.

Although there is evidence that some wildlife species have been affected by exposure to endocrine disrupters, there is still no conclusive evidence of a link between harmful effects on human reproductive health and exposure to these chemicals.

What you can do
You should not re-use empty cans or tins to cook or store food because this can increase the likelihood of the substances used to make the cans getting into the food.

Once a can is opened and the inside of the can comes into contact with oxygen in the air, corrosion, which is minimal while a can is sealed, becomes more rapid.

Half opened cans of any type of food should not be left in the fridge. It's best to place leftover food in a sealable container that can be stored in the fridge or freezer. This advice does not apply to those foods sold in cans with a re-sealable lid, such as golden syrup or cocoa.

To make sure your canned food is at its best:
- store cans in a cool dry place
- use your oldest cans first
- if a can is bulging or rusting, throw it away

I think this is good information not only for pet food from tins but also people food. It mentions the food is safe inside the sealed cans, just once opened the contents should be stored in glass containers in the fridge. :)

otter
September 30th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Good to know, i'll be changing what I do:thumbs up

Thanks growler:highfive:

ancientgirl
September 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the information. I always get the small cans, or feed the Dynamic Duo from one large can. I never have to put any away. But in case I ever do, I'll know not to store anything in the can.

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for posting that, Growler. I will be emailing the info to everyone I know to get the word out. :thumbs up

Longblades
October 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM
I don't like those cans anyway. They leave a sharp ridge overhanging the edge of the can and it scrapes up my cutlery when scooping the food out. And it is hard to get every last little bit out.

P.S. Yes, I have some old cutlery that is OK for those cans but someone in my house doesn't always think to use them. Gee, I wonder who that would be?

Jim Hall
October 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
just once opened the contents should be stored in glass containers in the fridge.

how about plastic containers?

krdahmer
October 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
AH! I have one in the fridge right now from this mornin....with one of those plastic lids on it that you get at the pet store! I'll have to put it in another container. Thanks a lot Growler for sharing that!:grouphug::thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
October 2nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
just once opened the contents should be stored in glass containers in the fridge.

how about plastic containers?

Some say plastic will leach melamine (of course if you look at the plastic containers in the dollar section @ the grocery store they call a plastic jug a "melamine jug") & whatever else is in plastic into the cat/dog food - I think it has to due with the composition of the food, cuz plastic is okay for humans :shrug: You should also never use plastic bowls for feeding - always stainless steel/glass/porcelain

PLUS Plastic will also take on the smell of the food - if you use a plastic container for storing opened cat food in the fridge, you wash it, go to reuse for something else you may still be able to smell the cat food in the washed/clean dish. Same goes for any plastic container you use for cat krunchies or dog kibbles that container can not be used for any other food cuz that smell especially won't come out. :yuck:

I was also using the oh so convenient catfood lids until I read this, now once I open the can, the food goes into a porcelain bowl & into the fridge until I can get some glass dishes just for the :cat: -> yes she's spoiled ;) (I don't have enough bowls right now anyways) :D

krdahmer
October 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
FYI for the odor thing....I've been using the Dawn with lime for odor removal... it works great. Hubby takes tupperware on the road and it doesn't get cleaned for days so it always stinks, I use that dawn and its like new.

I put the cat food in my actual tupperware container and it seemed fine.... I have been under the impression that the leakage into the food only happens when those cheaper plastics are microwaved or heated with the food in them. Same with the water bottles, only when heated in sunlight etc.