Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

naughty boy

ghost858
September 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
hi all, i have a 7 yr old american bull dog that ive had since he was 8 wks old.he is wonderful around all kids and others,has a super dispositon,but this naughty boy is trained not to pee in the house and for the longest time he didnt. but after my son was murdered he started peeing, now i dont know if its because his master was gone or what, but he does. he also will from time to time if left alone to long will chew. he chewed a doggie door in my bedroom door. i have to get a dog sitter every time i leave. oh i know dumb and exspensive to. i love this dog to death and the dog whisperer would say its all me coz since josh died i have litterly babied him.everywhere i go he thinks he has to go. please help me i love him to death but oh my i want to kick his big butt some times. please help me lol. deanna:::frustrated: oh yeah why dont i put him outside? well i tried that and he barks and pokes at the door till the screen is out. i know hes nughty.

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
First of all, my deepest condolences on the loss of your son. :sad: :grouphug: :candle:

Dogs do grieve and it could be the reason for the sudden change in his habits but it could also be a medical issue and he should have a urinalysis and blood test done.

Have you taken your dog to the vet for a check-up to rule out any medical problems like a bladder infection, urinary stones, etc.? At 7 yr. old he should start having an annual blood panel done to keep on top of things.

If there aren't any medical issues then you are going to have to start Potty Training 101 all over again.

Does he have any chew toys that you can leave with him? A kong filled with some of his kibble and a bit of peanut butter will help to keep him occupied. Or there are treat dispensers that they have to figure out how to get the treats out.

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM
What Rainbow said...:D

The loss of your son is a terrible blow to you and your family. Not only is your dog grieving your son's loss, he is also intuiting your fears, anxiety, loneliness and sadness.

Although, his symptoms may be temporary as he and you work through your loss, you may want to approach this as if it is true separation anxiety. That means practicing leaving him for very short graduated to longer periods of time. If he is accustomed to and sees a crate as a sanctuary, you may want to return to crating while you are out or you may want to restrict his access to one part of the house. This is done both for his comfort level, he will feel better if he only needs to "defend and control" a small space and to limit the amount of damage he might do. Leaving on a radio or a looped-tape recording is also known to be defuse anxiety.

ghost858
September 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM
thank you for your thoughts! i have crated tank when he was young and at 3 he chewed his way out. hes very strong! i have left the tv on, left him treats, taken him for walks. hon ive done it all. i think its me. i baby him very bad,and he knows i love him to death. but im not going to stop trying.lol :dog: