Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

obdience classes

allymack
September 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM
i have ob class again today, and i was wondering if it would benefit enzo any if i took him for a long walk before training to tire him out. would he learn better( or worse..or other) and would he still get as much out of the class as he could?

otter
September 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
From what i've read you'd definitely benefit from taking enzo for a walk before class. I don't have Molly in classes but I know I get nowhere with training if we do it at the beginning of an outing, I always get better results at the end and she is always especially good and attentive on the way home. Seems when they've expended a bit of their energy they can be more focused.

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I agree with Otter ~ Absolutely get him out for a speed-walk/ run/ off-leas play before class. He is such an *ahem* exuberant puppy :laughing: he needs to get his ya-ya's out so that he can focus all of his energy on you in the training environment.

Did you decide to go the clicker route? How is he doing with training in general?

allymack
September 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
yes i decided to go with clicker training. his overall training is actually going pretty well :) he can do sit,down,settle,stay,watch (or look), and he is working on the recall, we are using com and a whistle. so its going pretty well :)

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Sounds like you two are progressing by leaps and bounds !! Good for you ~ persistence and perspiration pays off!!

allymack
September 30th, 2007, 06:09 PM
well, we just had the best training classes ever!(well the last 20 minutes were amazing) They suggested we try him on a gentle leader, and i was a little hesistant because i didnt want him to have to wear it for ever, but they said they were going to show us how to wean him off of it, in week 7 and 8 (last two classes). it just made my night sooooo much easier and now i look forward to going to classes because i know i will be able to control him better, and i am just that much happier that they are showing us how to wean him off of it!, i know the next lesson with be soo good! :D

allymack
October 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
back from another training classes, and good news, again, not only did he do the class without his gentle leader on but we walked out the door and he stayed at my sided, and he did not bark, they commented on how far he came in the past 5 classes (he used to be crazy, and wouldnt go in to the settle position) and they said my handling skills got much better to, which i was surprised about, because i thoguth he was just finally understanding everything, which i am sure he is, but thats all for this week :)

mummummum
October 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM
That's fantastic Allymack. It sounds like the both of you are going to graduate with honours!

I used a gentleleader too for awhile with the grrrl's by the way and think that they are invaluable for willful, strong dogs.

allymack
October 21st, 2007, 08:06 PM
haha :) we had better graduate with honors, enzo has been pretty much in bootcamp! :P even at the field we do training, instead of ball, but he doesnt seem to mind, it gets used to listening in different environments.

mummummum
October 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Awwww ...no ball? All work and no play will make Enzo a dull boy ! besides that he needs to run off some of those zoomies. You can always integrate your training commands into play. :thumbs up

allymack
October 22nd, 2007, 05:51 AM
haha, dont worry he gets to play ball, i just think it isnt as much as he wants it to be, and we are going to start trying to put come/sit stay/downstay in to ball, its will be funn

allymack
October 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM
well we have classes tonight, it didnt go as well as the last couple of classes, but it wasnt horrible. he was a bit distracte, but i think it was my fault for not giving him enough exercise today, alothoguh he did swim a bit( he decided to do that himself..not normal for him) or he might just be having an off day but what ever it is we are just gonna train through it:shrug: i guess its the only thing to do and he will hopefullly be back to himself by next lesson.:pray: haha :)