Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Euro Puppy Boston Airport Customs Question

BUGSEY
September 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I hopefully will be picking up my 2.5 month old puppy arriving from Europe on Air Lufthansa at Boston Airport. I'm getting worried as I've never done this before and am wondering about the procedure. A friend will bring the pup over. My question is whether my friend is responsible to clear at customs or does he deposit the pup and then I would have to do the clearance procedure? Is the customs in the same building, is it difficult to get to the customs offices?
I'm Canadian and will be traveling from Toronto to Boston, would that be an issue? Because I will be bringing the pup which hasn't had the rabies shot back to Canada I will have to give a Canadian address for the rabies quarantine papers. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for any advice!!!
Bugs

satchelp
September 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Your friend will have to clear customs with the dog at Logan. I don't know where that is but if the puppy is flying as baggage, they should be cleared at the customs area in the airport itself. If the puppy is flying cargo, the customs facility could be off-site. Here is some info from the US gov't about bringing dogs into the country:

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/2bringyourpet.htm#dogs

I'm not sure why you are mentioning quarantine. If the puppy is indeed under 3 months of age, the rabies shot is not required. Here are the Canadian regulations with regard to importing dogs.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dog_chien_1e.shtml

CyberKitten
September 30th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I believe you need a rabies shot to get the puppy into Canada - not sure how you get around that. Can you see a vet in Canada? I know when we brought our fox terrier to Maine on a vacation once, we "forgot" the papers home Stupid , I know but it was my dad's fault, lol!!!!!) and we had to board the dog while we went away - ruined our trip actually.

Let me ask an immigration lawyer I live with? Tho he works with ppl and not pets so much, lol

CyberKitten
September 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Ohh, apparently to quote "An exception is made for puppies or kittens that are younger than three months old." I assume your puppy is thus so that would give you leeway. Not all border crossings will ask for a health certificate but many will - and prob most airline ones will so have one just to be safe. I would assume a good breeder in Europe would have sent one.

to quote said immigration awyer again *gawd, ask one question and I get 5 answers, what will it be like when we are marred, lol)

Most people presume it is merely the rabies shot that is required but if you get a picky customs person they will hold your pet at the boarder until the vet can check them out...in a worse case scenario it may not be until the next day. Thus, be extra cautious.

You also need proof of ownership.

and here is the Canad Customs site: well it has another name but I digress)

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dogse.shtml

Itcomes down to finding a good customs agent - not one who is picky! Evey experience is different.

Good luck!