Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vomiting, Vet prescribes enzymes

Judiej
September 30th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Hi. My 12 year old dog has been to the Vet a few times for vomiting. He vomits daily. He is only digesting half of his food. The vomit is stinky as the food is sitting and spoiling in his stomach. After bloodwork and xrays the vet says everything looks good but that he has some slight liver disease that seems appropriate for his age. He presribed Adlife, an enzyme supplimnet. It isn't helping. My dog is very happy and active and shows no other signs of distress but he is losing wieght. Any thoughts?

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your dog. :sad: The daily vomitting and losing weight concerns me and I would get a second opinion. Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 04:54 AM
What and how often are you feeding? And approximately how long after his meal does he vomit ?

You may want to switch your dog's food to another high quality, holistic kibble. If you are feeding only once per day try feeding several smaller meals. If he is vomitting right after he eats, try putting his food in a kong or put a kong in his bowl so that he is not gobbling his food. Make sure he doesn't get any vigorous exercise thirty minutes before and after his meal so that he is calm while eating.

Did your Vet suggest trying him out on an antacid like Pepcid AC twenty minutes or so before he eats? Many have found it quite helpful to dog with ongoing but inexplicable indigestion problems.

You can try all that but I might also think about a second opinion and an ultrasound. As you say the vomit is smelly, that tells me it's sitting there for awhile with the majority of it is not passing to the small intestine. As such it could be an obstruction or herniation of some sort rather than symptomatic of a stomach issue (like an ulcer, diabetes, kidney troubles etc.).

And do let us know how you make out!

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ultrasound is a good idea as I'm also thinking of an intestinal tumour. You could also try feeding him a grain-free kibble as grains are harder for a dog to digest. My favourite grain-free is Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com) but there is also Innova EVO, Go Natural Grain-Free and Wellness CORE. Good luck and please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

sugarcatmom
September 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
On top of the good advice you've been given, you might also want to ask your vet about Denamarin (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/denamarin/index.asp), which is a liver supplement containing SAMe and silybin.

Judiej
October 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM
Called vet again because it was too hard to simply watch him deteriate. He is about 13 years old and the vet basically said there was nothing else to do. I called the Vet again and asked about some special easily digested food. The receptionist said "Why don't you try something with enzymes". I told her that we allready went through a bottle, you gave it to us. Her reply was "No we didn't, what we gave you was a suppliment, not an enzyme." I was quite angry. I have not had much luck with this vet, but being in a very rural area and the vet of choice being over an hour away I went to the local vet. So I got a prescription of Viokase-V tablets. It is a pancreatic enzyme. I also got him a prescription dog food called Purina EN, for this issue.

He has gained a couple pounds, is perkier, but still vomits. Has anyone used this medication? Any suggestions? Should I buy the powder and sprinkle it on food instead?

Please no jusgements, I can't affort a pancreas transplant or something. I love my dog but my rent has to be paid first. The medications and food is about my limit. Maybe I can give in a different dosage? A different schedule? Thanks for the support.

mummummum
October 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
Well isn't he just a cutie! No worries about us passing judgement hun ! You're doing your absolute best and no one can ask more than that.

Frenchy uses Viokase with success. I'm bumping this up so she'll see it tomorrow.

Chicklet
October 22nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Concerning the liver troubles, Milk thistle is really good,
Before this dog food scare I use to give small amounts of store bought dog food to my dogs, (gotten old and somewhat lazy)
Broke my rule of all home foods and this is what I got, lesson learned.
Anyways Princess would eat store food, Chappers refused all but home food,
Princess took to throwing up almost everyday.
Vet told me it was my house food and to give all store bought food.
Well being somewhat mule headed I threw that advice out the window.
Put her on Milk thistle and cut the store food out totally, She stopped throwing up & within days she was her old self again.
Took her back for blood tests etc, and she was fine, Her lymph nodes had been all swollen previously too, but were normal now,
Went back awhile later to have her spayed, Vet wanted to run blood tests before hand, So I said ok, I forget the whole medical terms she said, But the vet told me Princess was not a good candidate for putting under as she may not pull thru it, Don't really understand it, So now I'm abit scared to get her spayed, My husband (long story) Had liver failure, anyways at one point he threw up every morning, Doctors put him on all kinds of stuff, nothing worked,
Finally I convinced him to let me use febreze on our bed sheets, pillows etc, and gave him milk thistle, The very next day showed the results, He never threw up like that again.

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Frenchy uses Viokase with success. I'm bumping this up so she'll see it tomorrow.

No I don't , I think you're confusing me with someone else , maybe Rottielover ? Or Tommysmom ? I'm sorry I can't help Judiej , he's a pretty cute dog ! :lovestruck: