Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crack on dog's nose

mika140
September 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM
My 9 yoa GSD has had a persistent crack on the right side of her nose for quite a while now (perhaps almost 1 1/2 - 2 yrs?) At times, it will subside, but it always comes back. At one point about 6 mos ago her nose got so bad that it began to have almost a corroding appearance on part of it. The vet put her on antibiotics, which seemed to make it better. But then a month or so later, and the crack was back. :wall: Then about a month ago I switched her food from Science Diet to Canidae Platinum. For almost 2 weeks, her nose seemed perfect. But now it's back to the crack. :frustrated:

The crack is at the top of her nose and looks like an open cut. I use neosporin sometimes and occasionally it begins to appear as if there is some yellowish mucous inside that nostril.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a supplement that would help for this situation.

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Did your Vet take a skin scraping to test for fungus?

Have you tried putting something like bag balm on it everyday for a few weeks to see if it's just really dry ?

satchelp
September 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM
If it is indeed just a dry nose, I have had good success in treating one of my dogs using calendula ointment. It's cheap and available at health food stores.

mika140
September 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
The vet did not take a scraping. When we put her on antibiotics, he seemed to be saying that it was either a biopsy of the nose, or the antibiotics.....and we both agreed the medication would be a better course (considering she boxed him w/ a muzzle on during their first meet and split his lip :eek: )

I like the dry nose idea.....partially because it seems to be better after she's been outside sometimes. Like yesterday....very visible crack...then we went for a walk and by the time we returned it was as if the crack was healed with a light layer.

I've only used neosporin type ointments on it.

What is bag balm and where do you find it? I'll look for the calendula ointment too. Thanks for the advice!

mika140
October 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM
I forgot, we also used vitamin E gelcaps at the vet's advice.....I would cut them open and then rub the stuff on her nose. It helped a little, but it was tough because she'd lick her nose and I'm not sure how much stayed on. I was wondering how good that was for her over time. I don't think he had me do it every day either....I think it was more occasional. But that's why it had me thinking about the possibility of a food supplement that she couldn't lick off. If there aren't any, I'll just be consistent about using an ointment every day and see if it helps.