Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hornet sting,cure anybody???

chico2
September 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
No,not that cats,I got stung yesterday:yell:
It's at my elbow,did not show much yesterday,it itched like crazy all night and now my elbow/arm is twice the size..
Anybody have a homerecipe for the itching and swelling???

wdawson
September 29th, 2007, 03:56 PM
did you get the stinger out?.....poly sporin works ok,as long as the stinger is out.

chico2
September 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I am pretty sure I did,got to check if we have some Polysporin,thank's!
I am all out of Calaminelotion and it's itching like crazy..

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Benadryl might help--sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to it.

One thing I've found that works great for stings, provided you can do it within the first few minutes, is to cut an onion and put the cut surface on the stung area. The sulfuric acid in the onion seems to neutralize the venom from the sting and it stops hurting. Not sure if it would prevent an allergic reaction, but sure does work well to stop the pain! :thumbs up

I hope you're feeling better soon, Chico! :fingerscr

happycats
September 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
White vinegar compress, works great for all stings.

krdahmer
September 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Benedryl, or gold bond itch cream is pretty good. I find too that just rubbing the spot with alcohol can help with the itching too.....

I feel for ya Chico, one got me on the palm of the hand a couple years ago when I went to open the sliding door at my parents.... it drove me crazy for about 3 days! Hope the itch goes away soon!

want4rain
September 29th, 2007, 09:21 PM
oral benadryl, if benadryl doesnt do anythign for you, topical cortisone 10 works wonders.

if you JUST got a sting, a very thick paste of water and baking soda or meat tenderizer. then pull the stinger out with a splinter remover, first widen the hole and then use the tip to sort of encourage the tip out.

i hope you feel better!!!

-ashley

chico2
September 30th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Thank's girls,you are all sooo helpful:thumbs up
The only allergy-meds I have at home were Aerius,I took one before going to bed and it knocked me out for the night:laughing:(it's supposed to be non-drowsy!!)
This morning the sweeling is down,I can bend my elbow,so,I'll survive:sick:

krdahmer
September 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM
:thumbs up

otter
September 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
"Bee" prepared for some itchyness - mine lasted almost two weeks:eek:, also not a bad idea to stock up on some Benadryl (the unadulterated regular drowsy stuff as strong as you can get it), your next reaction might be more severe and Benadryl can be a life saver (literally!). :fingerscr it's all better soon:goodvibes:

Schwinn
October 4th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Yup, benadryl. Doing bike patrol, stings and poison ivy are things I see a lot, and the answer is usally benadryl. As a matter of fact, when I got a call from my brother-in-law asking where I took my nephew riding because he was swollen like a balloon, I told him to give him benadryl. When it went down, I said, "Well, then it was a poison leaf of some type".

Stings are basically an allergic reaction, much like poison ivy/oak.

the gang
October 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
mud wet it and put it on the area

chico2
October 5th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Well,it's all gone now:thumbs upand I hope all those stingers out there will be gone bye-bye soon too,there are an awful lot out there this years.
I am getting some Benadryl just in case it happens again..

kiara
October 6th, 2007, 11:37 PM
We are not doctors, therefore you should go see one, especially if it has swelled up this much. You are having a reaction! Website remedies for people or cats and dogs could do more damage than good. It is always better to go for nothing.

chico2
October 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Kiara:laughing::laughing:No,I do not go to the doctor for a beesting not unless I was very allergic,like some people..

Janie123
October 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I once sat on a neighbor's porch swing that had a hornet's nest under it. Man,I got stung and did it ever hurt.....5 bites! My neighbor smokes and he took two cigarettes,opened then and got the tobacco out and got the tobacco fairly damp. He put it on my bites and it felt wonderful. No swelling,no stinging. We,of course,made sure the stingers were out. Not fun though.:sick: