Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amber was so bad today!

JanM
September 29th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Made me wonder whose dog she was! When we arrived at the Beach, she got out of the car and ran down the hill barking her fool head off at a fellow with three dogs. I called her back - sternly - and put her in the car then took Bobby for a 2-minute walk. Went back to get her and she was fine.

We walked around for about an hour then met up with Jack - a Jack Russell cross who my dogs know. Bobby and Jack started to play - Amber put her head over Bobby's neck - he ignored her and kept playing - so she got aggressive with Bobby - growling and trying to drive him away from Jack. I very sternly told her NO - she ignored me so I shoved her away with my foot. That got her attention enough that I leashed her, made her sit beside me then I totally ignored her and talked to Jack's owners. Bobby and Jack started to play again so I asked Amber to stay and I moved away a wee bit - close enough that I could grab her if she tried anything but she didn't.

Any suggestions on this behaviour? Did I do right?

Amber has been so good for the past week that I was - mistakenly - thinking she was over it!

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 05:50 AM
One step forward, two steps back. Three steps forward, one step back. It's like an elaborate, almost-too-complicated-to-follow dance isn't it?

What would have happened if you let Bobby and Amber work it out? Would Bobby get annoyed and give her a bit of the old snarly-face until she backed off or would it have turned into a real fight? If you think Bobby can give as good as he gets, then let them get into a bit of a tussle. If you think Amber doesn't have a "shut-off valve" yet, then you did right to intervene.

But, I'm wondering whether "No" is effective for Amber. Replacing "No" with a command she can achieve(and for which you can praise her) like "Amber, Come Here" or "Amber, Down" or "Amber, find a stick" (my personal favourite for my own little tussler, Bridie) might be a better means to distract her from her objectionable behaviour by re-routing her to something acceptable as well as honing her attention and obedience skills.

JanM
September 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the comments, mx3. I'm not sure what Bobby would do if I had let it go on - sometimes I think he would defend himself, other times I don't think he would - he's a hard boy to read. This was the first time this has happened - and I wanted it to be the last! Sometimes, though, I sort of wish Amber would pick on a dog that would say "Oh yeah you little twerp, I'll fix you!" (but not too much either!)...

I'll work on the commands - she has gone Down when I've used that command in other situations but this time I didn't have time to think..

We are about to head to the Beach - in the pouring rain - and I hope others will be there so I can work on this stuff...

Tx again!

JanM
October 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well, two days now and Amber hasn't repeated any of her behaviour from Saturday.. I have no idea what brought it on but I'm still dealing with worry about the fight between her and Bobby.

I can only hope it's a one-time thing!

Ford Girl
October 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Jan, it's hard isn't it? One day good, the next not so much...and when you decide to work on these behavioral issues, they don't display them when you expect them to, then out of the blue...they do, it's frustrating to say the least.

Not meaning to steel your thread, but I go thru the very same crap with Dazy...

This weekend we camped, she met a old male lab, no issues, then arrived 2 rotties, one male and one female, and BOOM - she was the devil in gold again, she seemed to really dislike these 2 rotties, she had met them before too. She showed her teeth, guarded her water, the trailer and me, couldn't even stand it when they walked by. And eveyr chance she got she leaned on me, pawed me, barked in my direction...I felt like she was claiming me and reminding me that I am her human, if she was male she would have peed on me. My husband could pet them, but if I did, she flipped right out, she even lundged at the larger female..with absolutly no thought as to what might happen? I don't get it. Even after a whole day went by she still had a hate on for these two much larger and much older dogs, and she didn't avoid them, she was right there, in their path. What I do know is that these two rotties don't have well defined dog on dog approach manners, and that not all dogs like each other, but I wish she'd tolerate it or ignore them, not bare teeth, growl and lunge. We corrected her every chance we could get, who ever was closest to her. It still continued all day.

It's hard to let them work it out and stay positive and not give off nervous vibes at the same time, I'd hate to think what would happen if the other dog didn't take it so kindly, even if it's her brother. Keep us posted, keep working on it, keep positive! We are always here for you to vent and share the good and the bad.

TMac
October 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM
How frustrating, isn't it!!!! :wall: Just when you think its getting better....

When they act like morons with little dogs (like your JRT, Jan) you feel bad that they are big bullies. And then when they take on bigger dogs (like your Rotties, FordGirl) you end up thinking - what the....???? Are you nuts, dog? They could kick your little fancy golden @ss!!!!!

We should start a "Goldens Gone Bad" support group! :grouphug:

Ford Girl
October 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
How frustrating, isn't it!!!! :wall: Just when you think its getting better....

When they act like morons with little dogs (like your JRT, Jan) you feel bad that they are big bullies. And then when they take on bigger dogs (like your Rotties, FordGirl) you end up thinking - what the....???? Are you nuts, dog? They could kick your little fancy golden @ss!!!!!

We should start a "Goldens Gone Bad" support group! :grouphug:

Exactly TMac! You just never know when they will "strike" hahah! Would this support group provide us with margarita's as well as support? If so, I'm in! I guess we just don't get it cuz we are not dogs. :laughing:

JanM
October 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm in for the Golden Support group too!

I tell you, these Goldens are something else. Dazy with the Rotties sounds so much like Amber - absolutely no thought to what the outcome could be!

This is truly a - "one day at a time" thing with Amber so we'll just keep working on her issues.