Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat won't let me give him antibiotics.. help?

starlightvelvs
September 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Based on your advice, I took Velvet in to get the dental cleaning. He only needed one tooth removed, which I was very happy about.

I am now trying to give him antibiotics. Firstly, he is acting strange since he came home last night and now sits under the bed, refusing to come out. When I dragged him out and tried to hold his mouth open to get the dropper in, he fought and struggled and made it very difficult. I think in the end only a portion of the liquid actually got down his throat. Now he is cowering under the bed again.

I'd like to know if I can put the liquid antibiotics in his food. Does this limit the effectiveness of the medication? Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

CyberKitten
September 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I would mix the medication with his favorite food - that will not degrade the quality of the antibiotics and he'll get his meds. Alternatively, you can give him treats that he associated with the antibiotics. I know this is not in pill form but when I administer pills to my kitties, I message their necks to make sure the med does go all the way down and is not spit out after. It is no good to administer a med only to find it spit out later somewhere. Cats are VERY smart when it comes to this stuff.

Good luck!!

Lukka'sma
September 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I don't imagine the taste is the greatest either. If you do mix it with food, I wouldn't use too much food. You don't want the cat to eat just a bit and leave some for later so make sure the amount of food is small enough that it is going to be consumed at one time. Maybe if you add the drops to a bit of liquid from a can of sardines or something like that.

rainbow
September 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
You can mix it with his food but most cats are very smart about detecting "new" smells in their food. I would try wrapping him snugly in a towel with just his head sticking out. Tuck him under your arm and lift his lip up using your fingers on that hand and use your other hand to squirt the meds in.

rainbow
September 28th, 2007, 11:28 PM
This site probably explains it better that I did. :o

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1393&articleid=1062

sugarcatmom
September 29th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Do you know what the antibiotic is? If it's antirobe, that stuff tastes super nasty!!! Trust me, I tasted it, and then felt really really bad every time I had to give it to my little dude. I doubt that mixing it in food, even very strong smelling food, is going to help. Are you keeping it in the fridge? If it's cold it doesn't taste quite as strong (that's not saying much, mind you - but it might help a bit). Offering some tuna or salmon or other tasty treat right after giving the meds could help ease relations. Also, watch out for diarrhea and call your vet right away if it develops. As for hiding under the bed, that's what my kitty did too. Seriously, this stuff tastes THAT BAD. I would have hid under the bed too. I wish they'd make a more cat-friendly antibiotic.

Longblades
September 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Pilling cats is notoriously difficult. We are giving our boy Clavamox right now. He doesn't fight us (like the other two did) but he is incredibly adept at either flipping the pill from the back of his throat to the front and spitting it out, or, he holds it in his mouth, even when swallowing the water we syringe in right after the pill, then spitting it out. It takes us many tries to get it to go down. Most cats are not as tolerant as he is. As a last resort I mix some special Vet recovery food into a slurry, crush the pill, and syringe that in at the side of his mouth. Not all goes down but most of it does. Then syringe in more water to wash away the awful taste. Coating the pill with his absolute favourite treat, peanut butter, does not work. These pills must taste and smell horrible.

Good luck. You may need someone to help you. It's hard to hold reluctant cat, even wrapped in a towel, and handle the pilling apparatus too.

roccoisus
September 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
The first few times I wrapped Rocco up in a towel but him on his back on my lap put the dropper in the corner of his mouth and he has no choice but to swallow . He wasn't happy but he got his needed medicine I don't have to use the towel now he squirms a bit but just gets it over with he only has 2 more doses left now So sorry that your Velvet is having such a problem with med taking . By the way I give Rocco his favorite food right after and that takes the nasty taste away

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM
How's the medicating going? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

BeckahPA
October 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM
hi-

one of my vets recommended mixing the liquid med with a little juice from a can of tunafish...it may mask the taste/smell of the medicine. good luck