Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Soooo confused...should I try enzymes?

mika140
September 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Well my dog seemed to be doing so well on his new food (Solid Gold BATM). I think it was a little short-lived though. Now it's just kind of random....no pattern I can come up with. About 50-75% of his stool on any given day is solid/firm. The majority of the rest is formed, but soft....and every other day or so there's a very tiny amount that is basically diarrhea :sick:

So I'm just completely confused now. I had changed the yogurt brand (old had 3 live cultures; new had 6) and it coincided with worse stool....so I went back to none...then the old stuff. Not enough difference to really tell though.

Is this normal? It's been about a month now that he's been on this food. Maybe I'm just overreacting and should give him longer to adjust to the food? I'm hesistant to add pumpkin right now because I want to know if he's getting better, and not just mask a problem.

Should I consider adding enzymes? My reluctance to look at them recently was because I figured he'd have to be one them indefinitely....which would suggest an underlying problem? Or are they similar to yogurt and just another supplement?

We just did another stool sample and it was negative for parasites, etc.:shrug:

mummummum
September 28th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Enzymes and yoghurt are different. An enzyme is like using makeup remover, it helps the body break the food down and process it evenly. Yoghurt is like adding highlights to hair in winter, it adds good bacteria to the gut that is normally there but has been depleted.

Giving your dog yoghurt everyday may not be necessary. These days I keep Bio-K on hand in the freezer and only take out one as needed. You may also be giving him too much. One or two tablespoons of plain, unpasteurized yoghurt a day is plenty.

If your pup had firm, well-formed stools for 3-4 weeks which have deteriorated to his present state then this may not be the food for him. If it's only been 2-3 weeks , give it another 1-2 weeks to see if there is marked improvement.

When you are evaluating his diet don't forget to look at any treats or table scraps you or others may be feeding him. Have a look at all the ingredients and compare it to the other foods you have tried. Are there common ingredients in the top ten? And, when considering whether this might be an underlying medical problem related to his food ~ are there any other symptoms ie. lethargy ?

TeriM
September 29th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Good suggestions from mum3. I would just add that perhaps you should review the amount that you are feeding. Often overfeeding can cause loose stools. Try cutting back a bit (1/4 - 1/2 cup maybe) and seeing if that has any effect.

My dog Riley has generally pretty good stools but they also tend to get fairly soft when he poops while we are exercising. Maybe that is also an issue for you?

rainbow
September 29th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I agree and MX3 and Teri have covered it all. Except I can't remember what you were feeding before Solid Gold. If it was a brand that's available at grocery stores, large pet stores or Walmart then it can sometimes take longer than a month for a dogs digestive system to adjust to better quality ingredients.

mika140
September 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info, and suggestions. Maybe I'll decrease the amount of yogurt I'm giving him, and just give him a little longer to adjust to this food. I cut his amount of food back from 4 cups to 3 and that seemed to help.....so he's really only been on the right amount for about 2 wks now. He was on cheaper brands before, so maybe that's part of it too. And the exercise.....he's a working dog, so aside from normal playtime/walks, he has varied activities during my workdays (and gets VERY excited at the slightest hint of a work activity....which happens a number of times any given day). Otherwise the ingredients are baffling to me. The best I could come up with is a suspected chicken & egg intolerance. He doesn't get any table scraps (unless he sneaks something during our work day while on a job).....and I've tried to cut out any suspect ingredients from the 2 types of treats he gets.

And today he's been very solid.....so I'll take your advice on those issues and just try to relax a little myself and give it some time. Thanks again.