Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How does this even happen?

Misery's company
September 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
74 cats taken from trailer site in Saint John
Last Updated: Monday, September 24, 2007 | 9:44 AM AT
CBC News

Nearly all of the 74 cats seized from a couple in a trailer in the Saint John area on Friday had to be euthanized over the weekend.

Animal control officers said 69 of the 74 cats could not be rehabilitated. Some had turned feral, while others had diseases such as feline leukemia and feline AIDS, which is similar to distemper in dogs.

Dave Lynch, an animal control officer, said he was on the scene when the SPCA executed its warrant Friday afternoon.

"The yard is cluttered and there's a number of structures that have been built in the yard that have been built to house cats. It's not the cleanest of places and the structures are not the best built. They're heated with kerosene heaters, they're heated with electric heaters, both of which are very unsafe, especially when it comes to animals.

Lynch described the couple keeping the cats as "collectors." He said they think they're doing the right thing, but can't provide proper veterinary care or living conditions for the cats.

In April, the SPCA seized 123 cats from the same trailer, which was set up in a different location.

All of those cats had to be put down.

This is so sad. I really don't understand it...

badger
September 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Whatever their impulses in saving these poor animals, they should be charged. Quickly, before collecting animals becomes an official psychiatic disease and can be used as a defense.

Frenchy
September 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM
before collecting animals becomes an official psychiatic disease and can be used as a defense.

I think it's already a defense :frustrated:

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM
That's disturbing. Animal hoarders should not be allowed to have so much as a flea as a pet. These poor cats, through no fault of their own, are now no longer alive. They lived in deplorable conditions, only to be euthanized in the end. :sad:

badger
September 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I think it's already a defense

I'd charge them with abuse anyway; since most of the animals had to be put down, whether they had five or fifty is irrelevant.

chico2
September 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I see this often on Animal Planet and it's incredibly sad,the owner mean well,but there is just no way anyone could care for that many
animals.
The owners will more than likely not be charged with anything,there was no malice involved,except all those poor little souls had to pay with their lives:cry:

Cinnabear
September 30th, 2007, 01:51 AM
The second time again, they should be charged heavy. How can you not see what you did the first time? Those poor cats had to put down. And now again. They should never be allowed to have any animals ever again.

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I have come across it numerous times in my work (people and things, people and wildlife). True hoarding is associated with an obsessive-compulsiive disorder and has very little to do with caring for animals, the animal is simply the focus of the obsessive thought. That is not to say that at one time in their lives the person with the disorder didn't care for animals, they may well have but now their focus on animals is not much different than someone with an OCD focus on germs and hand-washing.

Mental illness is an illness and people with OCD or schizophrenia or depression and so on should be viewed and valued as one would view and value anyone with an illness, with compassion. BUT, I have the same expectations of a person with mental illness as I do of someone with diabetes ~ they have rights as a human being but they an equal measure of responsibilities and the largest of these responsibilities is to ensure that they receive adequate medical care and adhere to a treatment plan so that their illness is manageable and so that they can participate in and be a fully functioning, productive member of the community.

We as a society and our justice system have failed these people and these animals. Someone knew about and failed to intervene in a timely and proactive way before they managed to accumulate 123 cats the first time. When intervention did finally occur, they should have been brought to justice. The court would have served them and society well to prohibit them from keeping animals for a specified period of time and to seek and adhere to psychiatric intervention within a specified period of time with sanctions for failure to comply.

Mental illness is a justifiable defense but should never be used by the court or by society to excuse someone from maintaining their responsibilities.

End of "My rant for the day".

Misery's company
October 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
I just don't understand how she could have so many, then have them taken away and within a few months be back up to that many cats again?! She lives fairly close to me and I know that there are not that many strays where I live (in fact I have never really seen one... I mean there are collarless cats but they always look well cared for.) It's not like she could be adopting all of these poor kitties... Where do they come from and how did they end up with her?

ancientgirl
October 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
If they aren't spayed or neutered then if she only started off with 2 or 3 cats, that number can go up in no time. Then the litter the first ones she had would have litters too, and it goes on and on.

These things wouldn't happen if people spayed and neutered their pets. Now these poor cats will have to be euthanized because one person didn't think enough to do the right thing.

Misery's company
October 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
yes, but this was a matter of 4 months... can this happen that quickly?
Man, it is so effin sad I can't even believe that this was allowed to happen again. It seems like she got caught, relinquished all of her cats and then stopped on the way home to pick up 74 more... people suck!

ancientgirl
October 2nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
4 months? I must have missed that part. Wow, then she must have just picked up every stray she saw. Incredible.:sad:

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Badger, you are on the money there. There is already a sub committee of the venerable DSM pondering whether hoarding should be officially labeled a psychiatric condition. All bets are that it will become one.

ancientgirl
October 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
I recently saw something on The Learning Channel about this. One woman in particular couldn't walk into her apartment but for a path she created. It was filled from top to bottom with stuff. It took her less than a year to accumulate all of that, and before that, they had emptied her apartment because it was full to the max.

It certainly sounds like some kind of a mental illness. Unfortunately, where some people hoard inanimate objects, others do this to animals.

I was looking online at my local shelter and it had a link for cats from a hoarded house that needed a home. I was almost afraid to even inquire! I mean I have two, so would they think if I wanted to adopt two more that I was a potential hoarder?