Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puss keeps bothering her bandages.

Puss'FavPerson
September 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Puss had her drains from surgery removed yesterday and they put a fresh bandage on her. It's really large and wraps all the way around her torso.

Her surgery was on Tuesday, and this present bandage is to prevent her from gnawing/scratching on her two incisions on her back, and give them a better chance to heal. It's supposed to come off on Monday.

Problem is she is spending ALOT of energy on licking/chewing at the bandage!
I've got to keep a really close eye on her because twice now she's had her tooth stuck in the bandage edge, and she keeps getting large strings unravelling.

Any ideas how to help her?

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I've heard about some spray, I think some bitter apple spray some people put on wounds to keep their pets from licking at them. While I'd never put that on a wound, since it might sting, maybe if you put some of that on the bandage she'll hate the taste and leave it alone.

Perhaps your vet can suggest something too.

Stetson1
September 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Maybe call your vet and ask if you can have a "cone" that will go around her neck and prevent her from being able to reach the bandage....they hate it and tend to pout when you put them on but it will prevent her from being able to bite at the area...comes in especially handy when you have to leave her unsupervised:)

Puss'FavPerson
September 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Had no luck finding bitter apple - small town, not too much in the way of shopping choices!

She kept me up almost all night last night, so today I broke down and called the vet's emerg line. So, the vet advised to take the bandage off. Now she's a bit happier, but she's discovered the string ends of the stitches ... and, of course she's after those now.

She must be tremendously itchy, I keep seeing her skin in the shaved area actually "crawl". I feel like such a schmuck for not being able to help her.

The cone thing is an option but not til Monday. My vet is not from here and her office in town is closed Fri -Sun.

Is there anything I can safely give her to help with the itching, I wonder?