Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Am THIS (___) Close....

want4rain
September 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM
to kicking them ALL out!!!!

Frances eats everything in sight. including the things she isnt suppose to. every single tiny piece of food is HERS. she is currently sitting outside the hall door so she can ambush the boys when they come out because SHADOW doesnt want to eat. he never wants to eat. i thought it might hav ebeen becuase he is ANTISOCIAL but NOOOOO.... its because he doesnt like wet food of any sort. ive tried canned, home made, raw... none of them. he eats them but GRUDGINGLY and only tiny amounts. he has lost so much weight. :frustrated:

it took me half of the OTHER cats meals to get Shadow into the front hall to eat, he snacked on it. well Cailyn had to go to school. she pops open the door, 'Shadows done!!" i ask if its ALL gone. 'no, but he is sitting at the door to be let out!' *sigh*

and of course Frances (after having eaten HER own rather large, very wet down meal) dashes in and starts eating his food.

i hunted him down, stuck him back in there (yes there is a little box in there... its a long hallway), got a PLATE because god forbid, maybe he wants his stinkin meal on a :yell: PLATE.

if i serve him on a plate, then he wants it on the bowl. he had crystals so i HAVE to water down his food because he refuses to drink out of a bowl.

we never had these problems before the raw/homemade diet issue. :yell:he just loves his stupid kibble.

i KNOW what Frances' issue is. she was starved within an inch of her life. i knew that taking her on but come on, Shadow is a totally different story! im trying to do the right thing by him since he had crystals before but honestly, at this point, i dont give a rats ass. im just about ready to be done with him. its been MONTHS of wrestling with him to eat!! (ie stay alive duh!!!!) but i feel like im jumping through hoops to get him to eat anything. even yummy stinky fish stuff.

maybe the little **** wants it on my good china?!??:yell:

:yell::yell:
-ashley

Jim Hall
September 28th, 2007, 07:45 AM
does shadow have company when she eats? maybe if someone stays beside her ? have you tried any of the vitamn stuff they sell in a tube?

I assume she's been checked out at the vets i knoe in a few cats i have had they had issues actually smelling the food,

Other than that i don't know other than yeah its about as frustrating as it gets .:shrug:

badger
September 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah, poachers, got'em. Goose will hoover up his own and then sidle over and place his fat nose in another (occupied) dish until the occupant moves off. He's suave that Goose.
Have you thought of feeding Shadow the kibble he loves, soaked in water? starting with a tablespoon so he still gets that crunchy rush, then adding more water in increments.
I also wonder if gravy would work, a strong beef broth, thickened or not (they don't care).
An appetite stimulant? Just to get him on track.

sugarcatmom
September 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM
An appetite stimulant isn't a bad idea, actually. Or, what I sometimes have to do with my "recovering" dry-food addict is grind up some of his beloved dry and sprinkle it on top of whatever wet food he decides he doesn't want that day. Something else that works magically is a light dusting of freeze-dried chicken or liver powder. Halo Liv-a-Littles (http://shop.halopets.com/category.cfm?SID=1&Category_ID=15) or Real Food Toppers (http://www.realfoodtoppers.com/) or Benny Bully's (http://www.bennybullys.com/products.php) work great for this. I know how frustrating appetite issues can be in cats! Good luck.

jiorji
September 28th, 2007, 08:51 AM
to kicking them ALL out!!!!
-ashley

ahem....can *I* have them???:D

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Maybe if you mixed some of the kibble with a little bit of wet food Shadow will eat it.

Food issues are so difficult. Vlad will eat just about anything, but Oksana is incredibly picky. As it is they don't eat any meal in one sitting, they're grazers.

I do find that as picky as she is, Oksana will come and meow her little head off when she sees me eating steak, so I give her little bits, since she eats so little of her own food.

Love4himies
September 28th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Yes, some cats are much too picky, sometimes I think they will starve themselves before they eat some foods.

chico2
September 28th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I have one of those kitties,Vinnie will keep one eye on the food he is eating,the other on Rocky's and Chico's dish.
I am with them while they eat,sit right beside Rocky to make sure he eats the spoonful with his meds,then he gets the rest.
Chico is very antsy eating,worrying about Vinnie,so I'll be very close to him too.
The best thing is to feed them in seperate rooms,I have Vinnie in the kitchen,Chico and Rocky eat in the PC-room with me watching over them.