Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat people please advise this doggy person about a pussy

dogslovelinda
September 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM
My hubby used to work the nightshift and about four years ago he befriended a stray cat that lived around the factory where he works, it was very wary of people but by offering it food every day for months he managed to coax the cat into his car where he let it sleep all night, he would let it out in the morning, eventually the cat trusted him and he named her Moglie. When he was on holiday he would leave cat food with his workmate and instruct him to feed her until he returned to work but one Christmas he arrived home with the cat saying she was too old to be left outside over the Christmas holidays and she would die from the cold (also Moglie had started to follow him into the factory and there had been complaints about her), so he brought her home to live with us. I was concerned about that as one of my dogs (Max the German Shepherd cross) hated cats, but my heart went out to the pussycat with no home and she moved in to my hubby's 'playroom' where his computer, playstation and cb radio is. It has been three years now of shutting the dogs away while Moglie is let out and the same when she wants to come in, although in recent months she has started to wander round the house upstairs choosing a bed to sleep on. The problem is that she will only respond to hubby and my years of trying to get her to love me has proved fruitless, she puts up with me and the dogs being around but that's about it. Is there anything I can do to get her to trust me so I can get her to come to me and cuddle her and train her and the dogs to be around one another or will she always keep herself apart from me and the dogs?

Love4himies
September 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Cats are funny creatures and they seem to pick their servants. This cat may believe you are owned by the dogs and are not available to her :shrug:.

I found the only way to win over cats is by lots of love and attention, but even then I have not been successful in all cases. I have a female himalayan that I got when she was only 12 weeks old and no matter how much love I showed her, fed her, etc., etc. my husband was her fav and that was that. She absolutely adores him. At the time I got her we currently had a male cat who "owned" me and although he did not show any aggression toward her, I believe it is through cat language is the reason she became more attached to my husband and left me alone.

I accept this and don't take it personally, it is a cat's way.

Exquizique
September 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I have to agree with Love4Himies. Some cats are just "one-person" cats, and can be very particular about who they get attached to or bond with. We have 6 and even though they all respond to both of us (especially when food is involved, ha!), some of the cats will just be "Hubby's cats" and some will be "my cats", and will respond accordingly in terms of coming to either one for treats or listening to either one better. Being a stray, the cat your husband adopted might be more wary in nature and find it harder to trust. Are your dogs attached more to you or your husband? If the dogs are more attached to you, the cat could be picking up on that and "staying away" by bonding more with your husband. Like Love4Himies said, cats can be funny creatures, and even with 6 cats, we are still learning something new everyday!

Puss'FavPerson
September 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM
This may make me sound a tad out there ... but, I think the cat "remembers" who saved it's life, and is keeping a special bond with that person!

My son "chose" our cat from the SPCA, from among all the other cats there, and to this day she has a special relationship with him. She has no four-footed companions (only fur-child), so she is treemendously social, but he's her #1.

No help with your situation, but maybe a little insight?

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2007, 09:03 AM
You are very lucky to have a husband so caring that he would save a stray kitty like that.

I don't have much to add, except I agree with Love4himes. Cats just attach themselves to a particular person.

badger
September 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I guess it's normal that she would be more attached to him, since she has been shut up in 'his' room. Plus all that time when he was her lifeline at the factory. Don't take it personally. Practise kamikaze love - stolen hugs and kisses - catch and release - and see if it hurries things along. Although most cats will not be hurried any faster than they want to.
I would finish with the enforced separation, maybe bringing the cat in a crate into a common area and seeing how the dogs react, then closely supervised contact, always leaving an avenue for escape, maybe a gate on your husband's room to prevent pursuit (if any). Integrating dogs and cats is not always a big deal and some even become friendly!

spud
September 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I agree with everyone here...One thing you could try is to be the bearer of good things :lightbulb:
Perhaps start being the one to feed him, and be there to offer treats regularly adn maybe he will start to think you like him :cat:
good luck!

dogslovelinda
September 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Moglie probably does know that the dogs are all mine, although the dogs do respond to hubby, I am the one that they are faithful to, I don't know anything about cats but I feel a bit like the 'Pied Piper' with 5 dogs following me everywhere I go in the house instead of rats. Hubby can move about as he pleases but the dogs won't let me out of their sight, I can't even have privacy in the bathroom as Max (a German Shepherd cross) opens the bathroom door and in they all come. I will have to accept that Moglie knows that I am the dog's property and that hubby is her's and at least we are all loved by somebody be it dog, cat or human.
Linda

Dracko
September 28th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I agree with Spud that you should be the one to start feeding the cat. That's how your hubby won the cat over. :thumbs up

rainbow
September 29th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I also agree with Spuds suggestion. :thumbs up

TeriM
September 29th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I agree with all the suggestions :thumbs up. We have one cat here who adores my hubby and one who is definately mine. I know that they love both of us but definately have a preferance for their "favorite" person.

krdahmer
September 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM
My Windy snubs everyone but me.... I feel so special. She can be lured away from me with treats now and then, but I'm still her number one. I think cats, especially females stick with the first person they decide is worthy of their affections.... don't take it personal, she's just attached to her own little hero there. Just try to give treats and steal pets when you can. :rolleyes::D

CyberKitten
September 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Some breeds are more one person cats than others (Himmies and meezers for example) and I do not know what breed your kitty is of eve if that is a consideration. I would try to get to know her more- don't force yourself on her but give her treats and good things and stuff she likes (food, toys and so forth, make a big fuss over her) and she will come around. She may always be your husband's cat but that's OK - she is happy and healthy and cats do not think like us - ie, they do not have favorites per se, as in anthropomorphic thoughts, but they bond with certain members of the pack. She prob sees herself and your husband as a team -especially since he did save her life.

Love4himies
October 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Some breeds are more one person cats than others (Himmies and meezers for example) and I do not know what breed your kitty is of eve if that is a consideration. I would try to get to know her more- don't force yourself on her but give her treats and good things and stuff she likes (food, toys and so forth, make a big fuss over her) and she will come around. She may always be your husband's cat but that's OK - she is happy and healthy and cats do not think like us - ie, they do not have favorites per se, as in anthropomorphic thoughts, but they bond with certain members of the pack. She prob sees herself and your husband as a team -especially since he did save her life.

Ragdolls can be included in the list of loving everybody. My Himmie though. does prefer my hubby for loves and cuddles, but me for walks.

marko
October 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
You feeding the cat is an excellent idea! You can also try catnip. Put some on toys and YOU be the one to give it to her.

You can also try petting your cat especially around the sides of the face where scent glands are strong. Cats like to put their scent on stuff in their environment (that 'stuff' INCLUDES people) so if she's not scenting (marking) you, you can try marking yourself with her scent. Try when she's sleeping or resting and start first with general petting on the back and neck, then move to the sides of the face. Then let her smell you. Work slowly. maybe leave YOUR worn T-shirt in the cat's environment as well. There's no guarantees here, but ya never know..... and that's one of the reasons cats are so special...ya just never know.

In our own case it took about 3-4 years before L'il adopted Zak :rip: really developed strong love for my my wife and me.