Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did you ever hear anything like this?

dogslovelinda
September 28th, 2007, 01:15 AM
My daughter Leigh bought a Poodle/Yorkie cross from someone who didn't want her anymore, she was five years old at the time (the dog, not my daughter). Leigh already had two other dogs (a male Papillon and a male Lhasa Apso), a year later Leigh split up with her partner and moved back home with her three dogs, with my two this meant I had five dogs to look after but I love dogs so it was ok for me (my hubby wasn't too happy about it though). Leigh stayed for two years before she moved, she didn't go far though, only next door but the strange thing is that Sally, the Poodle cross would not move with her and would hide from Leigh everytime she tried to take her home. I still have all the dogs during the day while Leigh is at work but the other two go home quite happily with their owner but Sally seems to have adopted me and is quite distressed if Leigh takes her, she literally has to be picked up and carried home so although Leigh is hurt she has let Sally live with me. Usually dogs go with their owners no matter where, I have never known a dog to decide on it's own that it prefers to live elsewhere. Sally adores my German Shepherd cross but she growls at her two ex-housemates and tries to stop them coming in our house every morning. Has anyone ever heard of a dog adopting a family instead of the other way round. I don't want to keep Sally from my daughter but if Sally is happier with us I don't want to distress her by forcing her to go live next door (Sally is 8 years old now).
Any suggestions

krdahmer
September 28th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Well at 8, I think she has chosen her home. If she is less stressed and happy there and really just next door to your daughter, I think she may be better off with you. There may be tricks you can try to coax her next door, but I'm sure the doggy people will be along any minute with better suggestions. Just sounds to me like she is old enough to know where she wants to be.

Frenchy
September 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM
The dog has spoken :laughing: Maybe you give her more time than your daughter can and she appreciates it ? It would be great if you wuld keep her , it sure sounds like she wants to stay with you ! :thumbs up

Love4himies
September 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
The dog may have been stressed with the first move when her original owners decided they didn't want her anymore and doesn't want to move again. Or, there is a scent in the new house that she can smell that stresses her and she can smell that scent on her siblings when they come to visit you. :shrug: very stange.

dogslovelinda
September 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I have decided that Sally needs some stability in her life and needs to stay with us. As you say she was got rid of by her first family and I did forget to mention that although my daughter bought her, Sally was the boyfriend's dog and when they split up he didn't take her so really she lost her second owner aswell. When Leigh came home she didn't have much time for Sally as she was either at work or out on the tiles living the single life again, whereas two months after they moved in here I was diagnosed with breast cancer and have been at home for two years having various treatments, so apart from my stays in hospital I have spent all my time at home with the dogs and she has probably loved all the time and attention she gets from me. She did actually sulk for two weeks and became very withdrawn when I brought my new puppy home at the end of August, although she has come round to the idea now and sometimes even plays with the puppy. I suppose I can understand Sally adopting us as I mainly live my life for my dogs. I have a notice up in the kitchen which my mum bought for me, it reads like this.
THIS HOUSE IS FOR THE COMFORT OF OUR DOGS
VISITORS MUST TAKE SECOND PLACE
IF YOU LOVE DOGS YOU'LL UNDERSTAND
IF YOU DON'T, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?
Linda

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, if you don't mind it then I think Sally is best off with you. I don't have dogs, but all pets in general need love and time, especially time to spend with their owner. It sounds like Sally might have figured staying with you would be the most stable thing for her.