Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

skin irritation? I don't know what to do anymore...

huskeylover
September 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Hello to everyone
I'm brand new to the sistem so I'm still trying to work out all the tricks.
I have a beautiful all white siberian huskey she is my baby and I love her to death. But for quite some time she has had these sort of scabs on her skin, but only on her belly, neck and thighs. We took her to the vet and he suggested we change our floor cleaning formula... we did and the problem is still there. She is itching constantly and I was very upset at the fact that the problem did not stop, so i took her back to the vet to see if i could get some sort of cream of meds. The vet then told me that white dogs are more prone to have skin alergies since they lack skin melanine. He gave me oral cortizon for a week. It stopped the itching but not the flacking and the scabs.
I really need help. As far as food goes she is an extremly picky eater she does not like dog food except for certain ones and only for a certain amount of time as well. Whenever i comb her fur the comb comes out with hair and you can see the pieces of dead skin on the comb (flaking) it worries me and the vets seem to not be helpping enough! any thought???
Thank You[/FONT]

rainbow
September 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM
It sounds like it could be hot spots and I would take her to a diffferent vet. How old is she and what are you feeding her? :pawprint:

huskeylover
September 28th, 2007, 02:14 PM
she is going to be 2 on november 14th.
we feed her nutro, eukanuba or purina one. We switch them up every now and then because she gets bored and dosen't want to eat. She will literally strave herself. And even though I know its bad we feed her human food!!.
like meats, fish, and chicken.
I have taken her to 2 different vets both dont say whats wrong and insist on giving me oral or topical meds, that only make the itching and the flaking go away for short time.
I dont know maybe its the intense heat? im not sure maybe Miami is way too hot for her skin! She is still a happy, out of control, joyful pup but this is jut not normal.

mummummum
September 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Holy hannah ~ a husky in Florida :eek:~ I'm panting just thinking about all that hair in the hot sun.

Hot spots are generally a result of licking and gnawing at an area excessively. If that is happening you have to stop her from doing it, even if it means wearing an e-collar or they will never heal.

But I would think more on the lines of an environmental or food allergy. So, let's start with the food. I strongly recommend you do some research in our food forum. Purina, Eukenuba and Nutro would not be foods I would consider for my dogs. I think you'll find with research that a holistic, premium kibble is a much better food choice for your dog from a health perspective. Or you may want to look at a raw or homecooked diet (human food being "bad" is a myth perpetuated by Veterinarians most of whom have little knowledge of canine nutrition and pet food companies who are selling you a product)

If after a few months on a holistic kibble you find your dog is not improving or, if you are eager to get to the bottom of things immediately, you may want to have her tested for environmental allergies.

rainbow
September 28th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Now that I know what you are feeding her, I agree about switching from Eukanuba, Nutro and Purina to a premium/holistic brand. I suggest you put her on Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com). I have a husky as well and he is doing great on it.

And, I would love to see pictures of your girl. :lovestruck:

Dracko
September 29th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Huskeylover take a look at this thread I started a while ago about the scabs on my cat:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42431

I remember wondering what on earth it was (and yes, it was itchy for Ginkgo) until a really smart vet gave me a diagnosis.

With a change in her diet (Orijen) it is amazing how well she is doing. No more scabs at all beside one tiny one on the back of one leg.

huskeylover
September 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone...
thank you so much for all the great advice. I am switching Sadie's food over today, I found a local pet store that sells orijen so we are going to make a small trip over there this afternoon.
I'll keep eveyone posted to see if her condition gets better.
Thanks Again
Here are some Pictures of my baby girl... hope you guys enjoy them

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2007, 03:11 PM
She's gorgeous, huskeylover! She has a lovely smile, too. :cloud9:

Good luck with the food change! :fingerscr that it will do the trick for you. The spots do sound as if they could be due to a food allergy.

And welcome to the board! :D

chico2
September 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Awww,what a beautiful girl:lovestruck:
There is a white,blue-eyed Husky-girl next door to me,but her coat is much denser,not as long as your pups.
I hope she will eat the Orijen and that it will solve the problem:pray:

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Sadie is absolutely gorgeous. :cloud9:

Glad to hear you found the Orijen. I hope Sadie does well on it.....please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
September 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM
She is a beauty :lovestruck: :fingerscr good luck with the Orijen clearing up the spots

Lukka'sma
September 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Oh what a face. I adore her!

otter
September 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
She's a beautiful girl! I read in another thread here about Organic virgin coconut oil as being very helpful to skin conditions, maybe something else to try if the change in food doesn't help (might be a bit much for her system if you do both at the same time).