Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need cat advice (impacted hairball?)

Sherazade96
September 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hi, can someone tell me what to do?

I have a 1.5 year old long haired calico cat named Arya. I believe she has an impacted hairball. She does NOT normally puke up hairballs (I've only cleaned up a hairball once in 1.5 years) but the last two days she has been dry heaving, but nothing is coming up.

This morning her attitude DRASTICALLY changed. She's normally extremely energetic, comes when I call her, plays ALL the time, etc. But today she hid under the bed (for the first time ever) and wouldn't come out when I called or when I shook some dry food. She wouldn't even play. She lets me hold her, but if she jumps it induces more dry heaving, which she seems to avoid.

Also, she hasn't eaten at all today, and she hasn't gone potty, either.

I feel like an overly fussy mother. Is she just constipated? Will over-the-counter medicine work? Or should I take her to the vet? Is this an emergency or not?

And...if I have to take her to the vet, how much should this cost? (That sounds callous, I know, but my last vet charged me $500 to get her fixed, so I'm trying to be a little smarter about animal health-care costs.)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/Sherazade96/arya.jpg

sugarcatmom
September 27th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Sorry to say, I think a vet visit is in order. Anytime a cat is hiding and not eating or pooping, something is most assuredly wrong. Not sure what costs you'd be looking at, but I suppose at least blood work and an x-ray would be on the menu. Hoping it doesn't turn out to be anything too serious!

Love4himies
September 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Definitely will have to take her to the vet as soon as you can. If a hairball is blocking her intestines, they could rupture, very painful and deadly. A hiding cat is an indication that she is sick or in pain.

Call around to other vets in the area, $500 to spay a cat is very expensive. My vet charged me $150 per female cat last year, only $50 per office visit.

A vet should be able to do a physical exam to determine if there is a blockage.