Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm NOT eating This SH***!

Longblades
September 27th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Really, that's what it looks like they're trying to tell me. I've had cats nearly all my life and now this strange behaviour is showing up in a second cat. Ginger used to do it and now Blondie is doing it with the special recovery food the Vet sent home to help in his illness.

The strange behaviour is; he eats a bit, then he assiduously scrapes the floor all around his dish exactly as if he is covering up a deposit in the litter box.

Anyone else ever observe this? Do you think it means what my title says?

badger
September 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM
One of my cats does the same thing around water and food bowls and I don't understand it. It could be marking behaviour, I guess, or a sign of pleasure. If they go on to eat the food, your theory is disproven (unless you mean, 'this is GOOD sh**):).

jiorji
September 27th, 2007, 05:47 PM
they do it in an attempt to burry it and save it for later. If my cat has a plastic bag nearby or a napkin she'll literally take it and cover her bowl of food with it and then walk away.

it IS normal behaviour. It's what they were taught to do in th wild. Stray cats burry what they catch

Longblades
September 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
My two have only done it with food they don't like. Maybe they're saving it for the other two. :)

rainbow
September 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I think if once you change their food to a premium/holistic brand you will not have this problem. ;)

Longblades
September 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM
You're lucky if that's what you've found. I find they are just like kids, junk food is much more appealing. With Blondie though I think it's because he has had some kind of virus and just is not up to eating too much right now.

Janie123
September 29th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Pepper swings from dry food to canned food. Right now,I am only giving him dry because his prescription canned food is so expensive. The dry food is the dry form of the prescription food. When he tries to eat the dogs canned food, I give him is canned food.
Like tempting a baby. lol:thumbs up