Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Only bad when left alone....

SaraGeorge
September 27th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a small problem with my 8 months old female standard schnauzer girl, Sara.

She is 99% house broken and such an angel when we are home. She wouldn't even touch a plate of steak on the floor if we say "No Sara". But when we leave the house, she goes CRAZY!!! she destroys mostly what is in my husband's computer room or anything she can reach. Like magazines, sunglasses, wooden baskets, my delicates and etc. She does have her toys and rawhides everywhere. I only leave her alone 4 hours at a time. We even block off areas and put things out of her reach but she still manages to jump of the gate/blocked objects and grab things off our table. She knows she did something wrong because she never come to the door to greet us when she did something wrong. She gives me the typical "oh mommy, I am so sorry..." look.

I know this will stop as she gets older but is there anything I can do now?

Thank you,

SaraGeorge

Winston
September 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Can you crate her...This tends to solve alot of those puppy type problems....

Cindy

SaraGeorge
September 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
We was left in carte for about 6 months and we are trying to ween her from her crate slowly...

Ford Girl
September 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I would say use your crate if she's not mature enough to handle the freedom. Did she mind her crate? Is that the reason you are weening her from it? They do see these as dens and are comfortable and secure in them, and a 4 hour nap never hurt anyone. Or limit being alone to when you run errands, an hour at a time, or if you are in the back yard - just to start, the freedom could be overwhelming for her. If it's for work each day, she knows how long she has before you get back, and she knows how to act when you see the destruction as you mentioned below, she knows it's wrong, but no one is there to correct the behavior until after the fact, and by then it's too late.

Is she exercised before she's left alone? That helps alot. Alot of it's bordom and or anxiety, toys and bones don't always entertain them, especially for 4 hours at a time by them selves. Just my thoughts.

Misery's company
January 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
This is the same problem that I am still having with Misery. She is fine in the house as long as someone is home but if we are gone for any period of time, she steals. Yesterday, I went to see Juno (awesome btw) and Misery stole (or tried to steal a container of sunflower seeds). She opened the container and decided she didn't like them. I would rather train her than use crate training but I'm not sure of my next step...

14+kitties
January 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
CRATE, CRATE, CRATE, CRATE, CRATE. Did I say crate???:laughing::laughing:
Leave the pup in her crate while you are gone with a few toys. She will be very happy and there will be no destruction. My two; Tasha:rip:,and Keesha; would head for their crates whenever I got my purse out. It was a sign for them that mommy was going out and that is where they went. It's a lifetime thing.

clm
January 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Anything I don't want my pups to get into is out of reach, period. You can't trust them to not get into things when you're not there. Even if it's on the kitchen table, if they can jump on a chair and then get onto the table, then it's still in reach.
That's been my experience with all my dogs anyway.

Cindy

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I am still a big believer in the crate, unless there is a founded solid reason to start weening them off it when they did well in it to begin with, keep crating. Just my opinion. Not only are your belongings at risk, so is the pooch, you'd hate to kick yourself if you came home to a sick dog cuz they ate something toxic.

Like clm says - even if you dog proof your house, and they jump the gate or have a board day, if they have free roam of the house, they are still things they can get in to. Either "baby proof" or crate.

I personally wouldn't keep trying if it was me. You can't train or correct when you are not there. Some dogs just don't do well with all that freedom. :shrug:

t.pettet
January 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I think 8 mos. is too young to be trusted not to get into things. Once they get into the habit of being destructive its rarely possible to break them of it unless they're contained. Why risk it or set her up for failure?

luckypenny
January 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
You can't train or correct when you are not there. Some dogs just don't do well with all that freedom. :shrug:

My thoughts exactly. 2 out of our 3 can not be loose in the house while we're not home and they're adults. By crating your dog while you're out, you're training her to be at rest when she's alone. By leaving her to roam, you're inadvertently training her to be destructive if this is what she normally does.

Our dogs love their crates. We cover them with blankets to make little dens for them. They relax instantly upon entering. Just remember to never use it as a punishment area.

mona_b
January 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I've never crated,and my guys had free run at 5 1/2 months.

What you need to do is gradually leave her alone.Start with 15 mins.Leave then come back in.If she hasn't done anything,praise her.Do this for a few days.Then leave for 25 mins.Same thing,praise her if she's been good.Then go for 30 mins.Then longer.You get what I mean?...:)

I did this with my guys.And many times when I got home they where actually waiting at the door.:)

I had mine blocked in the kitchen and puppy proofed.I didn't use a baby gate.I actually had a board with a hinges and a latch.So I actually made a door.

Sara is used to having you guys around,so when she's alone,she gets into things.Try what I suggested and see if it helps.

I have nothing against crating,but if you teach a dog not to be destructive(i know some you can't)and you can,then why not try.I'd rather have my dogs have the comfort of the whole house.And also be able to protect my home if someone decides to break in.Not that anyone would have a chance with my guy...:D

Would I rather have a dog blocked in an area then crated?Yes.

One call I got was to a fire.No one was home and there wasn't a sign stating a dog was there.There was one in there.He was crated.I won't tell you the details.But I will never forget that image.:cry:

:offtopic:..But my suggestion to all you animal owners,PLEASE get one of those stickers that you place on the door stating you have animals.It helps.