Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Ontario Tri-factor springers question

jillfarm
September 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Hi folks. I am a proud pet owned person. I have 3 springers, a lab cross, 2 cats, and 3 birds. I have a question I would like answered if any one knows out there. What is "tri-factor" in relation to springers. I know it is a genetic term re: tri colour springers but how does it work and what does it mean? Looking foreward to any input. Nice to meet you all.

spud
September 27th, 2007, 10:58 AM
HI there, can't answer your questions, but wanted to say hi from a fellow ontarioan :)
cheers!
Spud

Frenchy
September 27th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I can't answer your question either but welcome to pets.ca. We would looove to see pictures of your very large furry family ! :cloud9:

jillfarm
September 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hi to you too, and here is a picture of our springer girls, Gia and Briar and our tri springer, Mac, smiling in the forest. Also Buddy, our lab cross. Mac is trying to hide do you think?

jillfarm
September 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
"Tri-factor means that the pups have a tri-color parent or other ancestor that was a tri-color. The tri-color gene is a recessive gene, so it must be present in both parents to produce a Tri-color pup. Of course, the closer the tri ancestor the better. Your pups from your tri male will be tri-factored and will produce tri- color with a tri-factor mate or a tri-color. " There we go folks! For those that reeeeeally reeeeeallly want to KNOW!!! Have a great day!!!

Lukka'sma
September 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the forum jillfarm. Good looking group you have there

jillfarm
September 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Thank you! Love the handsome one you show also. Looks like a siberian but could be wrong, apparently it has happened before! Nice to meet you!
Paws, and hands, out to you and yours!

chico2
September 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
jillfarm,welcome to the Forum,your pups are beautiful:dog:
Not that I think you discriminate or anything;)but where are the kitties???
Pics please:cat:

jillfarm
September 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
The kitties are my man's and my daughters and tend to hide out during the day! I will post them as soon as I have them.

jillfarm
September 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Before my dear man and I met, (we will have been together 3 years nextMarch) Daniel already had his pal, young Buddy, only aprox. 7 or 8 months then. He lived alone, and it was just before Christmas. He lived in a subdivision then. Buddy had developed a friendship with this kitten in the backyard. The kittie would come and go, and Dan thought it belonged to someone. One week, it was brutally cold for a spell, and he saw this kitten around again. He looked not well. Buddy would not leave him alone. He knew something was wrong. This particular night it was supposed to go down to -30 Celsius. So Daniel brought this poor kittie in. Then he soon realized in what bad shape he was. The cat would never let him near him before, but now he was very weak. The tips of his ears were frostbitten and he hardly seemed consious. So off the emergency vet Dan took him first thing the next morning. Daniel named the cat Little Buddy, after his savior, Buddy, our black lab cross. 400$ in vet bills later, Daniel now had a free cat. Most expensive free cat! The poor baby had to be on intervenous for a while, as he was dehydrate, and Dan had him neutered. Now he is a happy guy, except he does not feel comfortable with one of our springers that was raised with a black kitten. I think she thinks he is an alien replacing her friend Lucifur, who has gone to his reward, so every time she sees him she chases him!! We have a door he succsessfully can squeeze under into his own space so he is okay. Just watches that damn springer!! Our other cat is still missing in action chasing mice so will have to wait for him. By the way, these pics are from when he was first rescued. His ears are not equal and he has white dots where he was frostbitten on his feet. Other wise he is just fine, lazy and loved!!!

Lukka'sma
September 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Great story...sad but with a happy ending.
Cute little thing isn't he.
So glad you have taken him in to be a member of your family.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM
You have a beautiful family ! Thanks to your BF for saving that cat , he would have died :sad: love the picture of the cat being cleaned up by his friend the dog :laughing:

chico2
September 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM
What a sad story,but of course with a happy ending for little Buddy:thumbs up
Love the pic with him and the black dog,I think they have bonded:lovestruck:
thank's for the pic!

hazelrunpack
September 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Great Furfamily, jillfarm. :D We had a chocolate-and-vanilla springer a while back--she was sweet, but the most macho girl you'd ever want to meet! Used to lift her leg like a boy! :laughing:

The tricolor factor discussion is interesting--of our 8 English Setters, 4 are tris. I've never seen a springer (except Mac, of course :o) with the coloration, though. I suspect that because many Setter owners seem to like different 'flavors' of Setters, some breeders tried to incorporate tricolors into their programs? But why the same phenomenon doesn't apply for Springer owners is beyond me. It might be an interesting question to explore. :D

Welcome to the board, btw. :o Where are my manners! I almost forgot to welcome you! :o

jillfarm
September 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
There are many tri color springers, but mostly field type I beleive. It is something becoming more wide spred in breeding bench bred or show type springers and I have found a number in Canada, the U.S. and especially in Europe, where my Mac's blood lines are from. His parents are imported from Czechozlavkia. (sp?) There are also many lovely ones from the U.K. This is why I am enquiring about this as I have attached my heart strings to these fine and beautiful type of springers. It is not simply the beauty of them, but the nature and uniqueness I have fallen for. We call them "velcro dogs" as they are happiest when they are attached to their person of choise. You will probably see more of these as they become less rare. Although springers are not for everyone, as they need to be part of a family, and given proper attention and excersise to be the best companion. They have also gotten a bad rap by irresponsible breeders not breeding for soundness and nature, but for profit and productivity. Hence "springer rage" and other health issues they have been sadelled with. Any dog not sound of health and nature for generations should never be bred. But they are and this has produced flaws,as with any breed. We see it again and again, but of course it is man's fault, not the dog. Springers should not be raised in cages. They need, like many breeds, to be gently reared with people to make the best pet and any pup not used to people could have issues. My Mac has seperation anxiety, which is commen with dogs not raised with people. But all my pups have been wonderfully natured and content with their person or left alone for a time, because they have experiance being loved and know it will always come back to them; Confidence in themselves, part of thier nature, through loving rearing. That is all a good breeder wishes in their dogs. Comments?

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Beautiful fur family you have there :lovestruck: and a wonderful BF. :angel: Welcome aboard. :thumbs up