Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poppy's sensitive digestive system!!

dogslovelinda
September 27th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Hello there, I am new to this so I accidently posted a thread to the general forum instead of here, as it was quite detailed I won't go through it again but if you wish to look it is entitled 'New puppy troubles - hopefully at an end'. To sum up my Papillon puppy had diarrhea from the day I brought her home and the vet wouldn't vaccinate her until she had been diarrhea free for two weeks, eventually this happened and she had her first injection on Tuesday, although she was a bit sore from the needle she was still as fit as a fiddle but the vaccination seems to have brought on the diarrhea again, not as bad as before, but I can't understand why this has happened. Poppy (that's her name) is very sensitive to any slight change in her diet but apart from the odd treat, she is eating the same brand of food all the time. Can you advise me?
Linda

clm
September 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
what are you feeding her?

Cindy

dogslovelinda
September 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I am feeding her Butcher's puppy food in tins

Lukka'sma
September 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
When we brought Lukka home at 10 weeks old she had the soft stool thing going on too. Many food changes over the months and the stools were always loose and smelly and just foul. She was on five different foods until I finally took the advice of one of our members and started to feed her grain free. Stools are perfect now it took me until she was about 14 months old to realize she was sensitive to any kind of gluten. She now eats Orijen and all her treats are grain free as well.
I can't navigate the Butchers site to give me a list of ingredients in your puppies food but your puppies problem might be something similar to what Lukka went through.

dogslovelinda
September 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Lukka'sma, That sounds exactly like Poppy's I have never smelled anything so bad coming from a dog, when she passes wind it smells just the same. It is especially odd coming from such a tiny little thing, my big bruiser Max who is a German Shepherd cross never smells as bad. Do you think Eukanuba might do a grain free food?
Linda

rainbow
September 28th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I don't think Eukanuba has a grain free formula and I also don't think it is the best food out there. What other brands do you have available?

dogslovelinda
September 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Hi Rainbow, I've just come back from a large pet store and have brought some home called 'James Wellbelolved Kibble' it states on the bag that there is no wheat or wheat gluten no beef or pork no dairy products or egg no soya or cheap fillers and no added artificial colours,flavours or preservatives, do you think I have bought the right stuff?
Linda

Lukka'sma
September 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM
OK so I see there is a place called Zooplus that carries Orijen. Maybe if this food that you have just brought home doesn't work you could try that. Several people on this site have started using Orijen and really are happy with the results. The one you just bought sounds like a good start. Good luck Linda

dogslovelinda
September 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for that information, I have been on to the Zooplus website and found the Orijen, I would never have known about this product without you and I am going to order some. Poppy and I are extremely grateful to you and the rest of our new Canadian friends for helping with this problem.
Linda

Lukka'sma
September 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Linda did you open the IM that I sent to you? Hope that web site can help too.

dogslovelinda
September 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
It's ok, I don't know how I did it but yes I found your message and read it, I will keep you up to date on Poppy's progress, you will see a photograph of her as soon as I work out how to do it. You really need to see one 'cos she is so cute I can't walk down the street without people constantly oohing and aahing and stopping me to ask all about her, I hope to get one on with Max and Poppy as it is so funny seeing them together when she is only the size of his head. By the way what breed is Lukka, she looks like she has a lot of German Shepherd in her?

Lukka'sma
September 28th, 2007, 11:43 PM
:laughing:Nope Lukka's not a GSD. She is a Caucasian Ovcharka. Flock guardian breed from Caucasus mountains, Georgian Republic Russia.

rainbow
September 29th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Linda, I am glad you are able to get the Orijen. :thumbs up I checked the ingredients on the James WellBeloved website and I much prefer the Orijen.

Looking forward to seeing pics of Poppy and Max. To post them start a new thread in the Photo Forum here, scroll down to Addition Options and click on Manage Attachments then follow the instructions to upload from your computer.