Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Baby Kittens

Angel75
September 26th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I know of some kittens newly born- i am gussing they are min. 1 month or max. 2 months old. Unfortunately, (b/c they are on a farm) they have contracted fleas (i think)(little bugs crawling on them not necessarily near their eyes or shoulder blades -- on stomach). Is that fleas? Due to age can they be saved? How old do they have to be to get treated? Is is expensive? And how can it be alleviated?? Please answer ASAP- there are alot of young kittens that i feel so badly for.... especially one that i might like to make a house cat but am worried about the bugs. Thanx

Love4himies
September 27th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Yes that sounds like fleas. They will definitely need vet care as I would not use adult treatments on kittens so young, their health is so fragile. The vet may be able to treat them with Revlolution or Advantage that would eliminate the flea problem, not sure have not had to treat such young kittens :shrug:. Also fleas can transmit parasites and deworming should only be done by a vet as well as their vaccines. Are you able to catch them and take them in?

Now is the time to tame them as they become harder to domesticate as each day passes.

badger
September 27th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Heavy flea infestations on young kittens can kill them. There are only certain treatments that can be used because of their age. You would have to contact a vet to find out which ones are safe. Usually it is some kind of special bath and then combing the fleas out one by one. So get to work! They (and the mother) would have to be separated from any other cats so they don't become reinfected.
Once the kittens are a little older (a few months), they can be dosed with regular flea medicines.
Please don't put flea collars on ANY of them, they are poisonous.

Poor things, I'm all for barn cats but not when they receive no care at all and are just left to breed - like fleas.

spud
September 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM
HI there! I havent been around in a while, but saw this thread during my own search to some answers since my daughter brought home a stray kitty the other day...
We used tea tree oil shampoo with additional pure tea tree oil added during a bath (for which he graciously took!)
he appears to be flea/bug free and has amazing ly soft furr! Good luck!
spud