Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Origen Fishy Food Check In

mummummum
September 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Just thought I would see how all of we the "converted" are faring with the fishy food. My dogs are still loving it. I'm adding extra virgin coconut oil (I'll post a thread about that as well). I didn't get as much a result in improved coat and skin condition as I had hoped (hence the coconut oil, which has helped). They also went through a 3 week or so period of intense itchiness which may be something completely unrelated :shrug: (it's not bugs ~ I've checked and triple checked :rolleyes:) which has abated quite a bit but not entirely.

Interestingly, Declan and Ceili can eat the Origen chicken (both were previously unable to eat cooked chicken without severe consequences) quite happily with no problems (so I'm thinking it was the chicken I was buying:frustrated:).

Over all I still give it two thumbs up. :thumbs up:thumbs up They are eating it enthusiastically, not bad poops, teeth look okay, breath is good, muscle tone is good, energy is good and Bridie has stopped sh-nacking (wahoo!!).

How about all of you fishy-food-feeders?

SuperWanda
September 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I have been feeding the Orijen Chicken since it first came out but for the last few months have been feeding the fish. Don't know if that qualifies me to comment?

They seem to enjoy it however I do add other fresh foods to the kibble and sometimes I think they enjoy that more!

I thought I would get more of a result with improved coat but I haven't noticed anything huge. Might give the coconut oil a try.

The one thing I have noticed is that my skinny dog gained some weight - mostly muscle mass and my other dog has lost some weight which was good for her.

I'd like to see how they do through a winter on this food - one of mine still suffers with allergies (although they have really been reduced) so I am looking forward to a winter free from pollen and mold to make a better assessment.

JanM
September 27th, 2007, 05:01 PM
"They also went through a 3 week or so period of intense itchiness which may be something completely unrelated"

Interesting - Amber, too, has intense itchiness so I've decided to stop the Orijen fishy food for her. She is sooo uncomfortable that I think it isn't worth it to keep her on it.

EdwinBird
September 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Rio's only been on it for about a week now. It took me quite a while to find a source, now I order it online. Not sure if I can comment. He eats it like nuts (though I've never had trouble getting him to eat kibble). After a week, I haven't noticed any difference (I wasn't expecting to that quickly). His stools have been great, though, not even one runny one. I don't plan on changing (well, besides rotating it with another brand or two). He also loves the moist kibble frozen in his kong as a treat.

Tommysmom
September 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Tommy's been on for ummm... a month? Just over? Something like that. WE STILL HAVE GREAT POOPS! :laughing: I'm so happy. His coat is better, but his breath is fishy, lol. I'm happy with it, really happy.

TeriM
September 29th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Definate thumbs up from me :thumbs up. My two get Orijen Fish for breakfast and raw at night. Lucy has slimmed down a bit with this (I've noticed she gains with the grains) and Riley's poops are definately better :).

rainbow
September 29th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I wish I could comment but I have a hard enough time getting the chicken Orijen. :frustrated:

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I wish I could comment but I have a hard enough time getting the chicken Orijen. :frustrated:

Isn't that odd given that the company headquarters is soooooo much closer to you than me !

Interesting comment about how enthusiastic other's dogs are with chowing down. When I switched from raw/homecooked to kibble, I had a really hard time find a good brand and formula they would eat without the bribery of add-ons like parmesan.

rainbow
September 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM
MX3, it is so frustrating to not get it here. The pet food store here has been trying so hard to get it in. The B.C. distributor delivers as far as Kelowna which is a little over 300km west here so they would have to pay the shipping costs from there and they can't afford to. The Alberta distributor will deliver as far as Creston which is about 130km east of here through a steep mountain pass. Not so bad for them to pick up in the summer but the road can be pretty bad in the winter.

But, the real pi$$ off is that the distributor that has the contract to deliver to Creston comes here to deliver veterinary and other pet supplies but Champion Pet Foods will not allow them to bring the Orijen. :yell: :frustrated: :mad:

I am able to go to Nelson to get it though (when hubby is here) which is about 35km east of here as the farm supply there has their own delivery system through the co-op they are part of. But they only bring in the regular Orijen and the Acana salmon & potato.

chocolatecoffee
September 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
It's been a little over three months since Panna and Cannelle first inhaled a kibble, and they did that again last night!

Panna and Cannelle get regular and fish (they go crazy for both), but Mocha doesn't like the fish so she just gets regular. Panna and Cannelle like it so much I basically only use it for training treats right now (perfect size, easy to carry...but then my pocket smells fishy) and they go insane! It does smell very fishy (the other day Mocha took a kibble and started rolling on it...:rolleyes:) but they still love it. I didn't see an improvement as they were on regular Orijen before, but they devour it and I'm ecstatic with both formulas.

FINALLY we've found a winner!

mummummum
October 2nd, 2007, 03:21 AM
MX3, it is so frustrating to not get it here.

Oh the arcanery of it all, to have it within your grasp ... kinda makes ya wannna grab somebody by the shirt and say "Does this make sense to YOU????" I guess what you get in a beautiful vista and clean air you pay for in other ways.

This week I bought a bag of the regular Adult formula to see how they fare on it. They are still hoovering it down like there's no tomorrow with no chicken-related horrors. And as kibble goes, it actually smells wholesome and nutritious !

bendyfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
My two puppers have finished their first bag of the fishy stuff.

They LOOOOOOVE it!!! They looked forward to every meal, even the last scrapings out of the bin...usually that part of any other bag of food gets sniffed for a bit and then I get pleading eyes ("can we have something else, mum?"). Gracie's very coarse coat seems to be softer. Both dogs are looking great in terms of weight...lean and muscular. We have to feed Jaida twice as much as Gracie, even though Jaida's smaller, because Jaida just burns off all the calories with her tripod hopping...but even doubling the food, she's really lean. Poops are great, solid and regular. Jaida's farting issue (from gross Pro-plan from before) is non-existant. I noticed the other day that it has both chondroitin and glucosamine supplements...made me very happy to see that.
Four paws up from our house!

Our cats have been on Orijen for over a month now too. All of them loving it, and looking great. Solly's coat is looking shiny for the first time in his life. Boo isn't throwing up all the time anymore. No signs of UTI in Riley. I think their weights are starting to stabilize too...can't wait to see what a few more months of the stuff will do!