Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Think you're safe because you don't own a "pit bull"? Think again.

Saradog
September 26th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Ontario ACOs tried to seize a purebred registered Lab for destruction. Read about it on Wag the Dog.

http://wagthedog.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2007/9/25/3253427.html

LL1
September 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Is proof of this available for people to look at?

clm
September 27th, 2007, 07:18 AM
The infamous Lori Gray again. Until I see what her source's are I'd chalk this up to election panic mongering. Just my opinion.

Cindy

satchelp
September 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Cindy, these stories are coming from the DLCC (Dog Legislation Council of Canada). Lori Gray is one of the most active people in this organization. She is not just spreading rumours. The problem is that the people that are posting these stories have not been giving details about the source of the articles.

mummummum
September 28th, 2007, 10:01 PM
For me, the problem with this story is that it a virtually verbatim version of the other story written about the sole-support mother with two sons who had ~ well, a completely identical experience. It may well be true but it has the air of being made up because only the "names" have been changed.

Babs
September 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM
This is exactly what was predicted during the proposals for Bill 132. The Bill gives too much power to "anyone" wanting to cause trouble to dog owners, and because of the wide range of dogs affected by the Bill (looks only), any law enforcement official has the power to make an on-site decision about how a dog looks.

The couple was lucky because they chose to fight the decision, and had proof to back it up. How many dog owners in Ontario have pets that came from registered breeders... versus those that came from pet shops and the Humane Society?

The fact that it was probably the result of a disgruntled neighbour over hedge trimming is something that absolutely can, and probably does happen every day. You just don't hear about those stories.

I remember a story someone on this very board brought up in 2005 when the Horror of Bill 132 was being proposed. It was the owner of a Boxer who trained his dog to be aggressive, for kicks. The dog was taken from him, and weeks later he purchased another dog... with similar reports of dog aggression following shortly after.

Irresponsible dog owners will always be irresponsible dog owners until their rights to own dogs are either revoked or reformed. People need harsh penalties, not animals. Any dog can be a good dog, if provided the proper encouragement. Destroying dogs that look a certain way does nothing but empower irresponsible people to disrespect fellow man and dog alike.

clm
October 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM
Cindy, these stories are coming from the DLCC (Dog Legislation Council of Canada). Lori Gray is one of the most active people in this organization. She is not just spreading rumours. The problem is that the people that are posting these stories have not been giving details about the source of the articles.

I couldn't find those articles at that site nor anything about Lori Gray there either :shrug:....my first time at the site, interesting place. Sounds very official, but really just founded by 3 women who appear to be great advocates for dogs. Appears to be a good site, I'll visit it from now on to see what's happening.

As for Lori, I'll have to learn more about her before I can form any opinion obviously.

Cindy

satchelp
October 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM
As for Lori, I'll have to learn more about her before I can form any opinion obviously.

Cindy

She is the Director of Events for the DLCC .. one of the people out and about at dog shows and other events raising awareness, fundraising for court challenges etc. I know this from attending such events.

satchelp
October 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
By the way, here is a link to the official PC party statement on dog legislation:

http://wagthedog.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2007/10/1/3264601.html

clm
October 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks Satchelp.

I read the Conservative letter. I'm a conservative voter normally anyway, so I'm happy with their response.

Cindy

Saradog
October 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I've been a member of the Dog Legislation Council of Canada since Bill 132 was proposed (2003?) and I stumbled across the organization. It's a national organization for responsible dog owners, and has members coast to coast.

DLCC representatives spoke at hearings in New Brunswick (where BSL was averted) and in Ontario (where the Fib government was dead-set on passing it, regardless of the proof that it doesn't work).

Lori worked the DLCC booth at too many events to count over the last few years, and has organized many of the DLCC's fundraising events. She has been a tireless and very visible worker. I worked many booths and public events for the DLCC, as have several other core DLCC people. If you go to a big dog event and visit the DLCC booth, please introduce yourself to the volunteers!

Many of the people in the organization own purebred dogs, the remainder own "mutts", and some (like me) don't own dogs but love them.

It was founded by three women but has grown and continues to grow, as more responsible dog owners learn of the organization and join.

Since everyone volunteers and pays out of their own pocket for their efforts (mailings, etc), all proceeds go to the Ontario legal challenge fund.

Personally, I think that every responsible dog owner should join the DLCC, to make sure the owners' voices are heard in political circles on topics of interest - whether it's BSL or leash-free parks. The DLCC has developed a tremendous library - scientific articles, reports and results - pertaining to dogs and dog ownership.

The Lab and JRT stories are true. To me, they sound alike only because the experiences are so similiar - fraudulent report made by neighbour or unknown, ACOs appear at the door and decide the dog is a "pit bull" and then attempt to seize the dog for destruction. In these cases, the owners fought back to save their dogs' lives. I feel sorry for older people, people who don't speak English well or have a fear of authority, who can't or don't know how to fight back.

babyrocky1
October 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Im a proud member of the DLCC as well, Im not sure how many members there are right now but I would estimate a few hundred anyways... and the
DLCC is a part of Banned Aid so its not just a small group of people.
If you also take into consideration the other rescues, AFTU, BIN, Animal ResQ etc and (shameless plug) the "Pit Bull" Co-op, there are quite a few of us working for "bullies" and really the rights of all dog owners... and all citizens of Ontario IMHO.
Unfortunately, as in any group of volunteers, there are always a core group of people who do most of the work. Lori is one of those people, so that would be why you have heard her name alot.
If you would like some more proof of horror stories related to dogs being accused of the "crime" of looking like a certain type of dog... check out My Dog is a Pit Bull and now must die...right here at Pets.ca... ! Ill try and find that link... The Jen Steele thread...http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15455&highlight=jen+steele