Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help, this is freaking me out

Criona
September 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hi,
I hope someone can help me. Our nine month old Staffie had started eating poop, :eek: and its freaking me out so much. Our garden is totally enclosed so it can only be hers or our other dogs scat, or possibly any cat that climbs the wall. As a Staffie, as you will know, they are a very licky breed and its a lovely welcome home in the evening, but now I can't let her close to me cos I'm so grossed out by this behaviour, and I can tell it makes her sad:cry:.
Please, please, please, any tips will help, ,even if its just to tell me to bring to the vets.I just don't know what to do :shrug:. I'm really concerned about the health implications for her.
Thanks a million
Criona,
Dublin.

Winston
September 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Criona...welcome...I have not had this problem with my dog but it has been discussed here before..Here is a link to a previous discussion on it:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39233&highlight=dogs+eating+poop

By the way we always ask for pictures of your fur family!

Cindy

:thumbs up

Criona
September 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Hi Cindy,
Thanks so much for your advice, I will def check into the nutrients question. I'm worried because we're moving from Dublin to the countryside in Galway, and there are a lot of foxes near the new house, so I'm worried about infections and the such.
I'll post pics soon
Thanks again
Criona

hazelrunpack
September 26th, 2007, 09:29 PM
If you have a fair amount of wildlife, make sure you keep your dog on a worming schedule. We have foxes, raccoons, rabbits, and various flavors of mice, voles, and squirrels. :D All of them can carry their own worm load and pass them on to your dog. :eek:

We routinely worm our dogs--4 times a year--just because there are so many things they can get into...and they do like the odd snack here and there, besides sometimes indulging in eating their own poop. :rolleyes:

Some of our worst offenders are also our best kissers, so I know how you feel. :yuck: I like to tell myself that a dog's mouth cleans itself faster than a human mouth does. If I catch the snacker in the act and the hose is hooked up, I'll rinse their teeth and mouth (won't work if your dog hates the hose, of course)...or sometimes just wipe most of the :yuck: stuff off their teeth. Still won't let 'em kiss me for a few hours, though. :D

Welcome to the board! Lookin' forward to those pics! :thumbs up And if you find a sure fire way to break dogs of this poopie habit, please let me know. :o

mummummum
September 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I can lend first hand testimony to food as an underlying cause. Bridie was a sh-nacker. She was eating a high quality kibble so I didn't think it was a question of inadequate nutrition but when I switched her food to an even better quality food she stopped sh-nacking immediately. Good luck !

kiwi_girl96
September 27th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I'm curious about this. Kiwi is 11 and since August has suddenly started this disgusting habit as well. She never did this before, ok, other than the cat treats she would sometimes find on her walks, but never her own!!!

I tried searching online and found that if you give them pumpkin this would help....we did....it didn't. I read that if you give them pineapple juice, this would help.....we did....it didn't. I'm now trying the pills from Petco....so far...nada.

She's been on the same diet for a few years, Natural Balance Duck & Potato. Nothing has changed. She is going through some neurological issues but the vets didn't think there was any connection.