Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tapazole

chico2
September 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I made a mistake of Googeling,Hyperthyroidism in cats,now I am paranoid:yell:
I never knew it was such a serious problem,that Rocky could go blind,lose his liver and kidney-function,the heart can be affected,bloodvessels in his eyes can burst because of high bloodpressure.OMG!!
My vet told me nothing of this,also he is not supposed to eat fish-based food,again the vet did not tell me...

I know you should never read medical-books,or sites,gets you really paranoid,but this is my Rocky.:sad:
I looked because Rocky has really loose,very smelly stool for about a week now,he only goes once a day,but still.
I wanted to know if it was a side-effect from the Tapazole...

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I don't know Chico... but I hope that none of those things ever happen to your Rocky!:grouphug::pray:

And stay away from Google!!:evil: :laughing: I think that is under my 'scary' internet sites. Having all information at all times may not be such a good thing.

wdawson
September 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
sorry chico2,i did not know you had kitty problems. here is another link for info.http://www.kingswayanimalhospital.com/349530.html

mummummum
September 26th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I think this may be the link Wayne meant to post as it is about Tapazole:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=510&EVetID=148032

I don't see loose stools listed as a side effect of the medication but I believe that chronic diarrhea is a symptom of a cat who has untreated hyperthyroidism. Maybe it's time to review his dosage or may it's something competely unrelated. perhaps you want to try giving him some bran, psyllium or canned pumpkin mixed into his food to see if it resolves itself.

wdawson
September 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I think this may be the link Wayne meant to post as it is about Tapazole:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=510&EVetID=148032

I don't see loose stools listed as a side effect of the medication but I believe that chronic diarrhea is a symptom of a cat who has untreated hyperthyroidism. Maybe it's time to review his dosage or may it's something competely unrelated. perhaps you want to try giving him some bran, psyllium or canned pumpkin mixed into his food to see if it resolves itself.

i meant to just post the search page.....there is other info there on other treatments...just type in hyperthyroid and select cats.

mummummum
September 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Oops :shrug: I should know better than to try and second guess you Dubya ! :laughing:

wdawson
September 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM
:laughing:

CyberKitten
September 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I only read the approved sites or sites I know have valuable medical advice. Those I can tell but like the rest of you when it comes to vet info, I have to rely on my vet and vetinfo.com or is it org seems to be OK. Anything associated with a university (a good univ like Cornell re pets) - not some fly by night org usually is fine. There are other orgs like Cat Fancy and so forth.

I hope Rocky will be OK- I do know a lot about this med and I doubt those symptoms are side effects. My mom has taken thyroxine for years and it is usually a very safe med. I think those sites are needlessly scaring you - really!! Unless he has a very serious case and I thin your vet should have told you. Still, you should ask her or him.

CyberKitten
September 26th, 2007, 10:18 PM
It just occurred to me - your vet does test his blood tho occasionally right? That is standard for anyone (human or cat or dog) on this med.

sugarcatmom
September 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I made a mistake of Googeling,Hyperthyroidism in cats,now I am paranoid:yell:
I never knew it was such a serious problem,that Rocky could go blind,lose his liver and kidney-function,the heart can be affected,bloodvessels in his eyes can burst because of high bloodpressure.OMG!!
My vet told me nothing of this,also he is not supposed to eat fish-based food,again the vet did not tell me...

I know you should never read medical-books,or sites,gets you really paranoid,but this is my Rocky.:sad:
I looked because Rocky has really loose,very smelly stool for about a week now,he only goes once a day,but still.
I wanted to know if it was a side-effect from the Tapazole...

If Rocky is well regulated on his Tapazole, side effects shouldn't be too much of an issue. He goes for regular bloodwork, right? Does your vet check his blood pressure at the same time? All senior cats (I can't remember how old Rocky is, but he's over 8, correct?) should have their blood pressure checked at least annually, possibly more if they're "special needs". If your vet doesn't have a Doppler blood pressure monitor, I'd seriously consider going elsewhere.

Also, 87% of cats with untreated hyperthyroidism had systemic hypertension. .... All geriatric pets should also be routinely checked for hypertension. "It is almost mandatory that every veterinary practice have the capabilities for blood pressure screening and monitoring. The Doppler is the preferred instrument for obtaining non-invasive, accurate consistent systolic readings in awake dogs and cats.

chico2
September 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Thank's girls,yes Rocky goes for regular blood-tests,he had one just last week and the vet upped his meds by a 1/4 of a 5mg pill,every second day,before he was on 1/4 twice a day.
My vet seems careful in adding more,which is probably a good thing,until she finds the proper dosage.
Since october last year,he's had 5 bloodtests.
His weight is staying the same,at least he's not losing anymore,but to me he's awfully skinny...although he gulps his food.
About his lose poop,I hate to have to take him to the vet again,I wish she could just tell me over the phone:cat: