Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Distemper Survivals

username
September 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Good Day Sir/Ma'am,

We have about 11 dogs in our home, most of them were infected by Distemper except for the two adult male (A mongrel and a duchhound). All 8 puppies (3 older puppies from first birth and 5 new puppies from the second birth) and their mom was infected by distemper. 3 of my puppies died, 1 from the first birth and the other 2 from the second birth. The other puppies somehow managed to survive including their mom but 1 of my new puppy was badly injured, he was paralyzed... unable to stand and walk. But can somehow manage to crawl little by little. The other puppies recovered completely with just minor damage like easily getting tired after a short period of running and playing. After a few months of no signs of any problem my adult female dog was starting to vomit and saliva was hanging from her mouth, she would eat and eat then after a few minutes she'd vomit. She'd also cry whenever I open her mouth, even just a small open she'd cry. She started to loose weight drastically, bones on her head already shows indicating she was really loosing weight. I had my vet see what was happening to my dog, he gave medicines for my dog to take. After weeks of treatment she started gaining weight. The problem now is that she couldn't open her mouth now to even bite a pen. Whenever she eats, she'd always press her food so that she could eat. Is this still part of a distemper? What should I do to help my dog if my vet can't help me with it. Does she need some kind of an operation or something? PLEASE help sir/ma'am. It really pains me to see my pets suffer while I can't do anything. :cry:

cpietra16
September 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hi, and welcome. i don't know if it can be related to distemper , but could it be that she has a sore in her mouth or throat. Can you get her to the vets. I'm sure someone on this board will come back to you with some ideas, but the best thing you can do is take her back to the vets...good luck

badger
September 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I agree. Please take her back to the vet, anything to do with the mouth is usually very painful, your dog needs help.

username
September 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the reply, that reminded me.. My vet checked her mouth and gums but did'nt find any sore of anything not normal.. before the medication given by my vet her face was swollen (the left part of her face up was while the right side was normal). After few weeks of medication it returned to normal but the opening problem of her mouth was still there. :sad: