Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mistaken diagnosis?

shamrocklove
September 26th, 2007, 01:52 AM
my puppy had a horrid time,my vet insisted that he have a catheter inserted to drain his bladder(he was'nt able to urinate much),in doing so she damaged his urethra,(telling me there was GRIT in there??)"WHAT DOES THAT MEAN", he was'nt able to urinate at all after that ,in turn I had to have him put down because he would'nt be able to pee normal.......could he have been saved if she used a needle into his bladder directly,should she have forced the catheter (as she told me it got suck going in and coming out)...then asked me how attached to him I was????....like she knew she did something wrong!..can anyone help me?

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Oh my, how horrible for you. Sorry I can't help to give you any advice on this procedure, but I can tell you that any use of a catheter inserted into a body comes with life threatening risks. My mother almost died from a routine angiogram procedure because the cardiologist tore a vein when she pulled the catheter out. She almost bled to death, had to have emergency surgery, and has taken her months to recover.

Did the vet go through the risks with you prior to this procedure? Did she go through any less risky options? As for the "grit" does she think the puppy had crystals?

:grouphug: for you!

:rip: little puppy.

shamrocklove
September 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM
no the vet did'nt go through the risks,and she did'nt say anything else about it....just told me it was GRIT. Im in the process of reporting the vet to the BCVMA. Its only been 2 weeks today,Im devistated,still cant look at his pictures,his name is CHESTER and he was only 11 weeks old.thanks for the hug though.:cry:

mummummum
September 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds (and I stress "sounds" because I'm only guessing here based on your description) like he had a blockage of crystals that were just forming into stones (calculi) in his urinary tract and she was attempting to provide a bypass for the urine with the catheter but wasn't able to reach the bladder because of the blockage. She may have dislodged the blockage somewhat in trying to insert the catheter but in doing so moved the blockage so that it "locked" against the catheter itself. She could have drained the bladder but that would not have helped clear the blockage ~ emergency surgery is quite often the only route to clear a complete blockage. Was surgery recommended to you after she was unsuccessful with the catheter? Did you have a necropsy of your dog done by another Vet? You may not get too far with the BCVMA without proof of incompetence or negligence (malpractice).

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.