Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone else have tips on capturing the wild Mom cat

ellendar
September 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM
She remains elusive although her kittens adore us and she lives on the edge of our lives she needs to be spayed and immunized soon

Love4himies
September 26th, 2007, 06:47 AM
The only suggestion I have is sardines and tuna placed in a humane trap. The smell will attract them and get them in the cage.

chico2
September 26th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Ellendar,thank you for doing what you are doing:thumbs up

Longblades
September 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Cats can be just too smart to catch. My friend was never able to entice a feral who lived in her backyard for four years into the "Have-A-Heart" live trap. Her own two co-existed with the feral all that time with no health problems and luckily no fights. The sad part was when Mr. Feral just disappeared and no one knew why. My friend was very upset.

Here's an idea. I'm not sure of it myself so comments are welcome. Can you catch the kittens? Can you get, borrow, beg, steal a larger live trap and secure the kittens (or one even) in a smaller open wire cage at the back of the live trap? Mother cats are very determined mothers and she may enter the trap to get her kitten. Hopefully, if she does so, you have all the kittens.

Of course you can't leave kitten there very long and if you have to stay nearby to monitor kitten that may very well put Mother off. Discuss with whoever you get a larger trap from but the release mechanism may be much too strong for something as light weight as a cat to set it off. And if it does go off, might the cat be injured if the door hits her?

oops. Ellendar, read this post first. I guess the mother cat is no longer closely associated with her kittens?

krdahmer
September 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Tuna, a have a heart trap and great big bbq mitts!

kashtin's kin
September 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I know you have lots of experience, ellendar (and good for you for all you do, and have done for ferals :thumbs up). For the really difficult to trap cats, the Allie Cat Allies website has quite a few good strategies...good luck :fingerscr!